Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Since Toyota refuses to acknowledge all the various squeaks and rattles of my 2009 Camry, I decided to take it upon myself to try and fix the noisiest of them--the dashboard. When the dashboard is cold, it snaps and pops over even the tiniest of road imperfections. It sounds like the dashboard is brittle and it's going to break. Fortunately, the fix is easy. I'm not taking credit for the idea because I'm not the first to suggest it (I got the idea from someone else here). I just thought it might be helpful for others to actually see what the fix looks like.

Here are the supplies you need:
  1. Foamies 3mm thick foam or equivalent. I found this piece at a local crafts store.
  2. Scissors
  3. Ruler or tape measure
  4. Pencil or pen
Procedure:
  1. Using ruler and a pencil, draw lines across your foam sheet 1 3/4" (~4.5cm) apart. Cut and separate the strips. You should have 3 1.5' sections.
  2. Measure 1" from the bottom of the strip and draw a line across your strip.
  3. Vertically mark sections 1" apart from each other across the strip, from the bottom to the 1" line you made in step 2.
  4. Cut the 1" marked sections from the bottom of the strip to the 1" line.
  5. Repeat steps 2-4 for remaining strips.
  6. Push these 3 sections in the gap between your dashboard and windshield. It's easiest to do this when the dash is freezing cold, otherwise the gap is smaller and will require a little more force.
That's it! If the directions aren't clear, then just look at the pictures. The purpose of the vertical 1" cuts in the bottom of the strips is so that the strips will follow your dash curve. Without the vertical cuts it's not going to fit as well.

Pictures below:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Interesting - I can't remember the other fixes that were posted, but I like this one since you don't have to remove any of the dash / plastic pieces. I'll have to keep this in mind when I drive by a crafts store.

My dash is noisiest on the passenger side. Drivers side doesn't really seem to make any noise.

Will have to give it a try!

Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It probably doesn't make much of a difference, but I put the pieces in with the vertical cuts facing down. If you ever decide to remove it, you can grab one of the edges and carefully pull it up with some tweezers. Don't pull too hard or it will tear.

I tested this fix on a cold day by driving around on some rough roads (heat turned off). Without the fix, the dash was very noisy. After I pushed in the strips, it was like a new car! Totally cured the problem. Toyota seriously needs to fix this crap. I should forward this fix to them so they can tell their lazy techs to fix it already. I spent all day experimenting, but it takes less than an hour to make these strips. I'd love to hear if it helps anyone else!

-G

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just about how much money I am willing to spend on this. Now can anyone tell me if this will also work for a generation 5. Mine has crazy rattles on the passenger side. Used to be cold mornings, now even the tuner exhaust driving next to me brings it on; very annoying.

·
Goes Against The Grain
18,082 Posts
Just about how much money I am willing to spend on this. Now can anyone tell me if this will also work for a generation 5. Mine has crazy rattles on the passenger side. Used to be cold mornings, now even the tuner exhaust driving next to me brings it on; very annoying.
Mine is a Gen 5 :) It should work the same.

·
Baby's got a new skirt
2,333 Posts
Interesting. This is pretty much the same fix that the dealer would use anyway, now people won't have to wait an hour or more to get their car back from the tech's.

Good write up.

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,421 Posts
Thank you for this useful post as my 2009 dash does make the rattle crackle noise up near the windshield
on cold days. I am going to use this method... great Idea.

Glenn

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,421 Posts
1 . question, do you make 3 separate strips and put one behind the driver's side, one in the middle and one on the passenger side ???

Thanks
Glenn

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, you make three strips--one for the driver's side, one for the center, and one for the passenger side. There is no reason it needs to be 3 separate pieces; the foam just happened to come in 1.5' sheets. It will work just the same if you have one 4.5' piece.

This fix won't help you if there is a rattle *in* your dash. It just fixes the specific problem with the dash creaking against the windshield. I'm glad everyone finds it useful! I gave up with the dealer.

My next task is to try and apply the same or similar fix to my rattling rear deck. It sounds like the rear window rattles when I go over bumps :headbang:

-G

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,421 Posts
Yes, you make three strips--one for the driver's side, one for the center, and one for the passenger side. There is no reason it needs to be 3 separate pieces; the foam just happened to come in 1.5' sheets. It will work just the same if you have one 4.5' piece.

This fix won't help you if there is a rattle *in* your dash. It just fixes the specific problem with the dash creaking against the windshield. I'm glad everyone finds it useful! I gave up with the dealer.

My next task is to try and apply the same or similar fix to my rattling rear deck. It sounds like the rear window rattles when I go over bumps :headbang:

-G
Thank you for answering my question.. Mine has the same symtoms as yours
So I am going to use this method...

Thanks again,
Glenn

·
Papa
18 Posts
To GHZ: I just did your modification to the rattleing dash. It took about 15 minutes, that's cutting the material and installing it in the dash area. Don't know if it is a success yet, but bet it will be, or at least help. I'll know tomorrow morning when it's all cold again. I bought it at JoAnn's Fabric store for $1.49 plus tax. The exact same thing you show down to the color. With that said, if it indeed does the trick, you have my wifes undieing grattitude as well as mine. We suffered with a 94 Grand Am for 12 years and never was able to solve the dash rattles. We were extremely pleased when we bought the Camry and it was totally quiet, untill the warranty was over and then it started to rattle just like you explained. Ours is a 2007 LE, but think they are all alike. Oh yea, I used a wooden ruler to push the faom in and may have it a little deeper than usual, but it's out of sight and felt like it was compressing the foam a bit. We'll all keep our fingers crossed. I owe you a cool one.........Roger R.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ok this may be a dumb question but I lay these strips vertically against the windshield right? Does the ruffled edge go in first or the non ruffled edge. I am trying to picture this in my head as I am not in front of the car. Thanks

·
Papa
18 Posts
It probably doesn't make much of a difference, but I put the pieces in with the vertical cuts facing down. If you ever decide to remove it, you can grab one of the edges and carefully pull it up with some tweezers. Don't pull too hard or it will tear.

I tested this fix on a cold day by driving around on some rough roads (heat turned off). Without the fix, the dash was very noisy. After I pushed in the strips, it was like a new car! Totally cured the problem. Toyota seriously needs to fix this crap. I should forward this fix to them so they can tell their lazy techs to fix it already. I spent all day experimenting, but it takes less than an hour to make these strips. I'd love to hear if it helps anyone else!

-G
Shelbrain: I put the strips in with the cut edges down (cut edge towards floorboard). This is how GHZ explained it in the 4th post from the top. I just followed his directions. It's a very easy and quick fix, hope it works for you........Roger R.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is a cheap, easy, and quick fix! Nice write up :thumbsup:

I will be doing this to my newly purchased '08 Camry! Its a shame that it has to be done, but at least its inexpensive and quick!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
17 Participants
gr8day
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing