Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my first truck, a 1985 Toyota Pickup, with a 22re engine. Within a few months of driving it, I noticed a ticking coming from my lifters. Here's how I fixed it.

All I needed was a set of sockets, a ratchet, a flathead screwdriver, a few wrenches, and a set of feeler gauges with .008 and .012.

First, try to fix it with a bottle of Rislone engine treatment. It should come in a yellow bottle and should say "quiets noisy lifters" on the bottle. This didn't work well for me, but it might work for you.

I removed everything from the top of the engine and took off the valve cover.. You should see your lifters and your timing chain. The gear that the timing chain is around should have a small indention on it.. Turn your camshaft pulley (should be a metric 19) until the indention is at top dead center. Remember that for every full turn of the camshaft pulley, the timing chain gear will make one half turn.

After you get the indention on the timing chain gear at top dead center, check the sticker under your hood for the valve clearance measurements. For me, the clearance on the intake side was .008 and the valve clearance on the exhaust side was .012. It should be the same on all 22re engines. You will see 8 lifters, 4 on the left and 4 on the right. The 4 on the left are the intake, and the 4 on the right are exhaust. I will refer to the lifters in numerical order from the front to the back. I included a labeled picture to help prevent any confusion.

When the indention on the timing chain gear is at top dead center, intake #1 and #2 should be open, and exhaust #1 and #3 should be open. When they are open, you should be able to move them slightly up and down. The other lifters (intake 3 and 4, and exhaust 2 and 4) should not be able to move. Use the .008 feeler gauge to check the clearance on intake 1 and 2. Use the .012 feeler gauge to check the clearance and exhaust 1 and 3. The gap you are measuring is on the outside of the lifters between the lifter and the spring under it. The feeler gauge should be tight, but should also be able to slide smoothly between the lifter and the spring.

If they are too tight or too lose, use your screwdriver to hold the center bolt in position, and barely loosen the nut around it. Loosen the center bolt if the gap was too small, and tighten it if the gap was too big. Then, while still holding the center bolt in place with your screwdriver, tighten the outside bolt back up. The adjustment shouldn't be more than 1/8 of a turn.. Use very small adjustments until you feel like the gap is right. Do this to intake 1 and 2, and exhaust 1 and 3.

Once intake 1 and 2 are set at .008 and exhaust 1 and 3 are set at .012, turn your crankshaft 360 degrees, which will turn your timing chain gear 180 degrees. The indention on the timing chain gear should be bottom center. Now, intake 1 and 2, and exhaust 1 and 3 are closed and should not be able to move. Intake 3 and 4, and exhaust 2 and 4 should be open, meaning that you can move them slightly up and down. Repeat the process and make sure that Intake 3 and 4 are set at .008, and exhaust 2 and 4 are set at .012.

After you have set the gap on all 8 lifters, start your vehicle and make sure they aren't ticking anymore, but don't leave it running for more than 10 or 15 seconds without the valve cover on. If it is still ticking, listen to figure out which lifter is still ticking, and re adjust it, but don't forget to put your timing chain gear in the right place to adjust it.
(Ex: if intake 1 is still ticking, put the indention on the timing chain gear at top dead center to adjust the gap. If intake 3 is still ticking, turn your timing chain gear to where the indention is at bottom center before adjusting the gap.)

Once all the ticking has has stopped, put your valve cover back on and you're good to go. It would be a good idea to change your oil before running it again in case you got dirt or debris in your oil.

I hope this helps for anyone who has noisy lifters.. Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.