Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a noisy lifter on my camry. It makes this ticking noise. The mechanics told me theres nothing wrong with it other than the fact that it makes noise.

They told me to put in SLick50 with my oil change. I did that 2 oilchanges ago and nothings changed. Then the last oil change I purchased this other "Lifter Fix" solution. That didn't help either.

Any other suggestions? My boy told me that its not really hurting performance or anything. It just makes a noise and he also said that the sound will only get louder over time. Is this true?

Sound off if ya got a pair! Lets hear what you guys gotta say :)

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean by adjusted? And how much would u think that would cost me?

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know:(

Mechanic said 300 bones just to get rid of the noise. Fuck that. I'll just blast my bass and I cant hear anything.

But theres no problems when it comes to performance right?

·
Certified Yo'Mama-ologist
241 Posts
most times it's just a bother and has little if any effect on performance...but if u can get ur hands on a Chilton's and a spacer guage(if that's what it's called) and u can narrow it down to whichever lifter under whichever valve cover, u can do it urself...

There's GOT to be a tech forum somewhere that can help

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If anyone can find the link to one, I'd really appreciate it. The way my mechanic described it to me it sounded like it was a big job.

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
Valve lash is adjusted with shims. The shims fit into buckets which are underneath the camshaft.

To measure the valve lash you need feeler guages.

Adjusting the valve lash is a bitch cos it uses shims. You need special tools to compress the lifter and remove the shim.

·
not actual size
Camry
1,899 Posts
Gridlyne: I used their "flagship product", Hy-per Lube (I have no idea why they hyphenated that), first one, top left. I'm contemplating trying out the Race Formula next season's autox, but I don't think one should run it for daily driving.

My buddy with the tricked dsm said he noticed a performance difference between the race formula and regular, but I'd imagine there's a downside to running the Race stuff daily or in a car that isn't pushed hard constantly.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But the flagship product should be fine for me with normal driving right?

·
Registered
2011 CAMRY 3.5 SE
335 Posts
Lifter noise on a V6 camry isn't good, this is a very fine motor, it shouldn't make the tickin noise; and yes it will get worse over time. Eventually the engine will start over heatin. Just change the engine, ma boy had to do that on his 92 V6. It's eatin up the engine. The sticky lifters will make it over heat probably and it will blow. Ma boy's blown head gasket V6 sounded like a customized WRX; not good. New motor should cost around $1,200.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I dunno about it over heating and blowing. I know that the noise will just get louder. But basically what I'm gonna do is I'm gonna try that addidtive that Brink mentioned as my last chance.

Btw, where in NY u from? I'm over in Woodside Queens. Check out this thread. All us ny people are trying ot get together sometime in Jan. Your welcome to come.

http://www.toyotanation.com/showthread.php?threadid=27091&forumid=7

1 - 20 of 22 Posts