Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
every time i read the nomenclature of toyota engines i keep getting confused, especailly when it comes to the JDM models;

I wonder if someonce can post a link to this info or better still post the info here!

I'm only interested in in V6 engines and above!

thanks for the info

·
Official Acura Troll
1,292 Posts
number is the iteration, next letter (sometimes two) is the family (for example, 5M, or 3MZ). This is often followed by a dash, but sometimes not, and then a GE or FE (in the case of V6's, i can't think of any that aren't efi). The G or F refers to the cams (can't remember exactly, but the G is a more aggresive cam, and the F is more fuel efficient, but there's not many G's left). The E refers to efi. If it's not efi, then it won't have the E. You'll see like 4A-F, which is a carbed 4A engine.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,632 Posts
He's right. For example, my Cressida has the 5M-GE engine. 5th generation of this motor, M being the series of it, G for more performance oriented, and E for EFI.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Newer examples include:

2GR-FSE:
2nd iteration of the GR engine series (not necessarily the generation anymore):
1 - 4.0L
2 - 3.5L
3 - 3.0L
4 - 2.5L
F - Narrow valve angle (22-35 deg)
S - D-4 or D-4S (direct injection)
E - Fuel injected

1NZ-FXE, 3MZ-FXE:

X - Hybrid Synergy Drive

·
Beware of pigs
Little Pig
2,446 Posts
Wikipedia has the answers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toyota_engines

By the way, the H in 5E-FHE means "high cam profile" in the Japanese version of above, but what that means exactly is still unknown.

X actually means Atkinson cycle - I saw the English wiki corrected - it used to read "X=Hybrid" too. Now that I think about it, it doesn't seem Toyota Atkinson-ized 3MZ just to mate it with HSD. Only 1NZ and 2AZ has Atkinson versions and they are all paired up with HSD, for obvious reasons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts