Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Millions &millions served
2013 Camry SE
8,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some 225/55-16 tires to replace the stock 215/60-16s (less than 2% off oem size) and the shop guy was giving me a hard time about oh it won't fit, its going to screw up the computer, yadayada.... W'sTF'n big deal?!?!

·
Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,677 Posts
take it to a diff shop. dude would shit his pants if he saw my 225/40/18s stretched on 9.0s.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Yea go somewhere else.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
NO BIG DEAL. You've already done your homework and know what you are getting. Thickheaded mechanics believe that the car will actually "know" what tires you have on it.

You are good to go. Go somewhere else.

·
Bulletime
2,206 Posts
I just got some 225/55-16 tires to replace the stock 215/60-16s (less than 2% off oem size) and the shop guy was giving me a hard time about oh it won't fit, its going to screw up the computer, yadayada.... W'sTF'n big deal?!?!
Uh yea any shop should make it fit just fine. It's a little wider but almost same side wall right?

·
2013 Camry SE
8,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i wanted to go a little wider but not to screw up the speedo too much. anyways they agreed to install it but i have to sign it so they're not liable if anything goes wrong :rolleyes:

·
Is this real life?
167 Posts
Go to another shop- why waive their liability just to get tires at that shop- there are a million tire shops...

·
Registered
413 Posts
Go to another shop- why waive their liability just to get tires at that shop- there are a million tire shops...
+1. You should never waiver their workmanship. Especially on a tire install.

·
2013 Camry SE
8,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was afraid all the other places will say the same thing since its not the "manufacture's recommended" size :rolleyes: and didn' want to go thru the hassle. i don't care about waiving their install since we all know theres nothing unsafe about these tires as im sure there are thousands of people who are running this.

·
Is this real life?
167 Posts
It's not about those tires or their safety- it's that if something happens and it is ruled that the tire was defective or somehow the install was bad- it could even be something like a broken belt in a tire that blows and you scrape a guardrail or something- you will have no recourse to go after them whether it's $5 or the cost of your car.

To me, it's worth a few minutes to call some other shops, but that's just me. I would never let a shop be waived of responsibility like that...

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Another vote for a different shop. :google: : "tires near insertzipcodehere".

·
Bulletime
2,206 Posts
i was afraid all the other places will say the same thing since its not the "manufacture's recommended" size :rolleyes: and didn' want to go thru the hassle. i don't care about waiving their install since we all know theres nothing unsafe about these tires as im sure there are thousands of people who are running this.
Um yea even my Toyota dealers will install any tires they can fit on my rims lol.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have a coworker who got new tires installed and while on the highway one rim came off the car because the installer forgot to tighten down that one tire. Had he signed a waiver like what you did he would have been liable for the repairs that needed to be done after the incident and the shop would have owed nothing. Never willingly risk your safety or your family's or friends safety for someone else's negligence.

·
Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,677 Posts
+1 to the above. plenty shops stretch tires and don't say a word about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts