1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
I just bought a 1990 Corolla DX 4 door auto with 191,000 miles for 300.00
I know this is a stupid question but I would like to know what type engine
I have and what size and is there anything I should be watching for we all know how these old cars can be any tips would be nice
Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
its got the 4afe engine(well its supposed to) ... take a pic od the engine bay and post it here if u can.
its a 1.6 liter
as for what could go bad, well, anything from that long ago will need a tune up.
do you kow the history of this car? what could go bad depends on how it was operated, and what kind of tensions were put on the vehicle by the previous owner, so check all the basics. cooling system components, electrical system, check the COLOR of your oil, look for any signs of milkyness, which will mean youve got a coolant leak internally. when you buy a vehicle for 300$, thats usually a "its a fair price to hand the problem off to someone else" deal. or @ least thats the way its been for me. cv joints, brake pads, check it all anyway. dont take any chances, and dont give it the option to fuck up your plans.

do you have symptoms for anything you may think is wrong?

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,665 Posts
it's not a stupid question, it's just a question that gets asked so much that everyone gets annoyed by it.

Look at the sticky section in the Corolla Lounge, there's an engine swap sticky with all or at least most of your answers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts