Toyota Nation Forum banner

NOOOO camry in nascar

3K views 35 replies 22 participants last post by  DAMON 
#1 ·
#2 ·
it isnt just for ******** anymore. have you seen some of hte numbers they genrate at the races. They never fail to sell out every track. they drop tracks for not being able to seat enough people. most of them will hold well in excess of 150k people. There are probably 4 different tracks within a 4 hour drive of me and you can tell when it is a race weekend anywhere close three or four days before the race.
the Bristol track is sold out for the next two or three years I think.

#5 ·
Grayguy said:
I don't really car that much. After all, the only thing about it will be a slightly different front clip and Camry stickers. Besides that, all the cars are the same anyway.
seriously.
the body is generally the same and all. the engine is different but still, its nothing you'd fit in a regular gen 5 anyways...

#6 ·
its true, its wrong of me to say it is for ********. I live 45 minutes from MIS and I have been to three or four nascar races... in my experience, after attending two formula one events, nothing comes close... the quality and behavior of the fans at f1 is leaps and bounds above the behavior of nascar ******** will ever be... everyone there is drunk, you get cans thrown on you and beer, half naked billies everywhere... just to watch 43 identical cars crash into eachother all day and people chant dale jr? that just isnt for me im afraid.

#7 ·
I don't know why Toyota bothered...NASCAR is a joke in the racing world. Carburators, body-on-frame RWD, OHV V8 engines...technology circa the mid 1960s. I wish Ford and GM would stop wasting their money on the damn thing...the fans only care about the drivers, not the manufacturers.

#8 ·
dsmnick said:
I don't know why Toyota bothered...NASCAR is a joke in the racing world. Carburators, body-on-frame RWD, OHV V8 engines...technology circa the mid 1960s. I wish Ford and GM would stop wasting their money on the damn thing...the fans only care about the drivers, not the manufacturers.
Actually the first gasoline powered internal combustion engine was built in 1860. And yes, even your Toyota has an internal combustion engine.

#9 ·
I'll be laughing at all the "American" sponsored Stock cars when the Camry starts to win races. :lol: Although, I never did get the point of watching 50+ cars racing in circles for 12 hours. :whatthe:

I prefer circuit racing. More fun and skills.

#10 ·
camrycoupe95 said:
Actually the first gasoline powered internal combustion engine was built in 1860. And yes, even your Toyota has an internal combustion engine.
:lol::lol::lol::lol: I don’t think that’s what dsmnick meant about the tech I think what he’s saying is that their putting a lot of money into technology that’s been replace by better tech like monobodied, fuel injected, midship F1 cars.

#11 ·
dsmnick said:
I don't know why Toyota bothered...NASCAR is a joke in the racing world. Carburators, body-on-frame RWD, OHV V8 engines...technology circa the mid 1960s.
:lol: :lol:
Man... This cat should be working for Toyota and keeping them straight. :clap: And maybe he should have let Dodge, NEXTEL, The major TV networks, and all the rest of the Fortune 500 companies involved in on his wisdom. They could have saved millions of dollars. .. Roger Penske would have loved to hear about it too before he spent $200 million on a new speedway in Southern California. (I hear there is a LOT of ******** in those parts) The new track in Las Vegas...

In my mind it's apparent that Toyota may know a thing ar two about marketing, and that they may know that they are not just looking to sell "********" cars and trucks....

#12 ·
dsmnick said:
THey may be a joke overseas in the racing world, but name one other racing series that has national television contracts that 4 different networks are sharing so they can all get a piece of it. NAme one other series that the manufacturers put as much money into. Name one other series that draws nearly as many people to each event, in the US. It is a money making series. If it werent you wouldnt have the car owners and manufacturers and sponsors pumpping millions upon millions of dollars into it.

#17 ·
They may have tons of contracts and sponsors and blah blah, but when you get down to it its like a soap opera. the announcers and officials favor dale jr so much its a joke, it wouldnt surprise me if nascar turned out to be a scripted made for tv drama. its THAT stupid.

#20 ·
First off, I'm not a big NASCAR fan, i do appreciate the work that goes into the cars because i have seen it first hand and am not relaying something i read online (wont say any names). Just because a lot of the fans are ********, doesnt mean that NASCAR is as low tech as people make it out to be. Most people who are quick to diss NASCAR really know nothing about it or care to. Its extremely difficult to make a consistent winning car and there is much more to the cars than "carburetors and ohv v8s" It is low tech when compared to F1, IRL or CART but there is still a LOT of technology involved. The reason they use the parts that they do is to keep costs down plain and simple.

Personally im happy to see Toyota get involved. They've already ruffled quite a few feathers in the truck series and should cause quite a ruckus in the NEXTEL CUP.

#22 ·
ya people think of nascar as a joke , and i did too, intill i watched a documnetry on it , a driver goes though the same beating as a person running a 42 mile maraton, and going over 200mph with inchs on each side, i think there some talent, but i prefer LeMans...

#23 ·
I know it's one of the toughest race and stamina, but still, if you're the spectator it's kind of boring to sit down and watch it for hours straight. Now, if you were the driver, it's different, but you can get more thrills in IRL, F1 and circuit racing.

#24 ·
Actually, its a VERY smart move on Toyota's part.
Its all about getting the Toyota brand noticed by blue-collar America.
People will see Toyotas competing head to head with Fords, Chevys and Dodges on Sunday, and those people who might never NEVER even considered a Toyota might consider a Toyota.
Its all about marketing, not product development.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.