Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed my oil vicosity from 20/50 to 10/40 on my 89' veezy, with 214k. Surprisingly, I noticed an increase in mileage- but also an annoying, random, not loud groaning sound from the engine at idle(sounds like increased idle, without being so). It goes away whenever I apply the gas, but returns when I sit at idle. Should I go back to 20/50? The engine still doesn't leak a drop and runs very cool, with good oil pressure. Ideas?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Try 5W-30 and your might pick up even more fuel economy. As for the groan are you sure it's not your P/S pump, water pump, or something else along those lines?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
The greatest thing for noises like that is a mechanic's stethoscope. They're cheap and work great. They have a metal rod that you hold against different parts of a motor, and you would be amazed what you can hear. Any discount auto parts place carries them, so does Amazon.

Just be real careful not to get the stethoscope (or loose clothing, or hair) caught up in a belt or anything else. Ouch.

·
Registered
380 Posts
+2 on the stethoscope, I got mine at Harbor Freight tools for around $3 dollars. They also have a digital battery powered one for around $20 dollars.

I just switched my oil from 5-30 over to 10-40, The oil pressure gauge reads higher & the summer is coming anyways. Here in Vegas 115 degrees is common in the summer besides with 154k on the engine I really think that the 10-40 is better. As others have mentioned the 3.0 is not a tight tolerance engine.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Fuel economy might improve with a lighter weight oil because the oil is thinner & can flow better, I guess there is less Resistance on the main bearings & such. Ford issued a service bulletin to change from 5-30 over to 5-20 simply for added fuel economy. Any mileage gains would be extremely minor if noticeable at all though.

If the 3.0 was still a new engine I would be using 5-30 in it, since it's got it's share of miles on it now I feel that the 10-40 is a much better choice. Some folks are even running the 15-40 diesel oil & really like it. I think it all comes down to the condition of your engine, the temperature where you live & how you use your truck. Also everyone has there own preference about the oil weight & brand.

·
Registered
800 Posts
You might find this article helpful for understanding the advantages / disadvantages of thinner / thicker oils - http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=haas_articles#faq_motor_oil_basics

The one time I used 15W-40 oil I thought my engine seemed sluggish compared to the 5W-30 oil I normally use. Using 5W-20 I noted that my oil consumption was a half quart per 3,000 miles (perhaps a little less than normal) and that the oil pressure (once up to operating temperature) was consistent with what it would have been using 5W-30. Your results may vary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts