Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
re mpgs up here in northeast..are you guys experimenting with optional octanes ? are you doing better with mid grade ?? ive only run regular to date and my mpgs are suffering in this cold..later
couldnt find anything in archives

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
forbye said:
re mpgs up here in northeast..are you guys experimenting with optional octanes ? are you doing better with mid grade ?? ive only run regular to date and my mpgs are suffering in this cold..later
couldnt find anything in archives
My mileage always sucks in winter, regardless of the vehicle. Winter tires and the shit they add to keep the gas from freezing. :rolleyes:

You could try switching up to higher octane, but keep in mind it'll probably take a few tanks before you notice anything. Even if you unhook the battery to reset the ECU it'll take a couple tanks to use up any lower octane in the tank/fuel lines. With the price of gas I haven't been real motivated to run the expensive stuff for a couple weeks to see! :lol:

I have noticed this cold weather lets me keep her in 6th more often tho! :clap:

·
"Clean" the best mod.
2,276 Posts
Silly 16 mpg here! I was close to 20 this summer. Im sure some has to do with it idling to warm up(cant stick my kid and pregnant wife in a cold truck!). Ive used all the grades they all suck equally.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
cj99si said:
Silly 16 mpg here! I was close to 20 this summer. Im sure some has to do with it idling to warm up(cant stick my kid and pregnant wife in a cold truck!). Ive used all the grades they all suck equally.
Same here. I was able to avoid the warm ups until a couple weeks ago when it dropped below 20. Those 40-60 days in December and early January were nice! :lol:

·
"Clean" the best mod.
2,276 Posts
PiercedTiger said:
Same here. I was able to avoid the warm ups until a couple weeks ago when it dropped below 20. Those 40-60 days in December and early January were nice! :lol:
tell me about it, its even getting tough to keep it clean(it is though:D)!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I get about 16 mpg too. Has alot to do with the cold weather we are having right now. Also I work nights and come home at 2:00am. I usually let it warm up for 15 minutes before leaving work.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have dropped off about 2mpg (down to 17) in city driving since the cold weather came in. Interestingly I took a 200 mile road trip yesterday and I was pretty much able to get my usual 22-23mpg on the parkway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've used 89 ocatane since I bought the truck. I think it helps keep the injectors cleaner.
Anyway, my mpg in the winter always drops alot due to warming it up in the a.m. for 20 minutes or so, (same at night leaving work) plus I think it doesn't run as well with the winter
blend fuels. I have noticed that once the temp drops below 30 degrees or so my truck also runs a bit rougher - like I'm running a heavy tread on the tires or something like that. The outside temps get warm and the truck smooths out. Just a 'thing' with it I guess.
In a nutshell: winter 16-18 mpg...summer 20-23 mpg.

New Hampshire/Lake Winnipesaukee

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wellll, i guess i'm right on..once it got real cold here..consistently below freezing and lateley 0 to 25 f i clocked my last tank at 16mpg..alot of around the town driving..guess i will settle for just running plain old 87 octane..runs damn good..got appx 5k miles on it..better every day...thanks guys, bob
Jaffrey, nh

·
Registered
2006 taco
29 Posts
I have been getting a solid 19 ever since I bought my truck six months ago. My commute is mixed driving- highway ,back roads & city-no matter what route I take to get to work. I did get 21.5 mpg last time I checked but thats probably a fluke.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
guess i wont bitch too loud..just got 19 with last tank using 87..it just seems once in awhile i get a tank that just goes right thru it..later

·
Registered
151 Posts
Is it bad to put a higher octane gas in your tank with a lower octane gas already in there? IE: Go from 87 to 89 octane.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
I usually lose 2 mpg in winter. But this winter my mileage hasnt been as bad... of course has been 'warm' until 2 weeks ago. Since the 'cold' began I got 17.1 on my commute (lowest since last winter) and 18.2 this weekend on a trip with about half in the snow and 50 miles in 4hi.

I can remember years back getting 14,15, 16 mpg. I don't see those numbers anymore.. Besides break-in, might be the full syn gear, tranny and motor oil... I use 89 or 90 gas.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey obx, welcome to the club, nice firemans symbol..anyway..its ok to put any octane mixed..however, increasing octane wont necesarily give you better mileage..i can rremember aaa club doing a sampling of 5o stations one summer..50 percent of the hitest pumps were not pumping hitest..can you believe the scam in the oil busines?? good luk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts