Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k i have an 89 pickup ext cab v6 4x4 with 170k miles on it..... it still runs perfect as i can tell.... and its completely stock... ive been looking into ways to get more power out of her it seems that intake and exhaust and headers will give em some more punch, but how much?

other than that it seems engine swaps are the way people go if they want alot more power..... but i simply dont have the funds to do somethin liek that.....

so i was wondering what i would need to do to my truck to make it NOS safe.... lets say a 75 wet shot

the purpose is not so i can street race, or be ricy.... i simply know that nitrous systems ad alot more torque than they do horsepower.... i love flyin through the dunes at high speeds and racing around dirt trails... and my lil v6 just doesnt satisfy me

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
I don't think NOS will suit you for that application. Right when you're starting to have fun, you're out of nitrous. I personally think NOS is best suited for drags, and little else. The 89 didn't appear to have the same head gasket problem that started up in 90 with the V6, so at least you have that going for you. Headers on that engine make a big difference as the stock design sucks pretty bad. You should see about 20 hp with headers, decent exhaust and a simple deckplate mod on the airbox. That shouldn't cost you much different than a good NOS kit, and won't be as hard on your engine. Short of major mods, though, I don't know what else you can do. HP aint cheap. Also, with nitrous, the weak exhaust design may cause more problems.
Other things you can try would be smaller tires or lower gears.

·
Registered
38 Posts
first off its not "nos" its nitrous. sorry its a pet peeve.
nitrous is awesome for torque but just like alltrac165 said it will run out just when your having fun.
i dont know if you have the same rear end as the 4x4s but they have 4.10 gears or lower(4.56 etc)find out if it will bolt in and then go to a wrecker and find a set.
other then that alltrac165 has some very good suggestions.
the key is for your engine to breathe.more air more fuel = more power.

·
King Dingaling
77 scottsdale 4X4
129 Posts
going fast costs money, how fast do you want to spend?

I always said that having nitrous is like making payments on a turbo or a supercharger. if you're really looking for boost look for a good supercharger/turbo its constant boost. instead of making little payments on filling your bottle, you spend $1000 or so and have boost all the time. besides, nitrous gets addictive.

but other than forced induction give a second look at your exhaust and intake manifold, you can find a set of headers pretty cheap, with a better flowing exhaust and the intake to match you'll gain a lot of really noticeable horsepower and would actually increase your gas mileage. Another great mod for more power would be a good cam grind, you could easily gain 30% more horsepower with the right grind. you can usually have a machine shop do a regrind for ya for only $75. +core. both mods are relatively inexpensive, really noticeable, and both would be great when setting up for your forced induction. if you're really serious about all this I found a book at barnes and noble called "supercharging, turbo charging, and nitrous oxide" that has a TON of really good, in depth, information about the mechanics of each system, how to set up your engine, and anything you could ever want to know about forced induction.

well, good luck with whatever system you do decide to go with, just thought my $.02 might help you out some.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts