Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend bought a 1999 Chevy Cavalier about a year ago, and it's been making a lot of hollow-sounding vibration at idle when it's in gear, and gives a nice solid clunk whenever it's put in Drive. Other than that, the (auto) tranny shifts perfectly, and the car runs great. I've been thinking that one or more of the motor mounts need replacing, does this sound like the case to you? If it was a transmission problem, I'm thinking the car would have quit driving by now.

On a side note, since we're both college students and I don't have the tools or the time to replace them, how much could she expect to have to pay to get her car fixed?

·
Registered
391 Posts
When you come to a stop in gear idiling, pop in neutral. My parents 2002 crappaleir with 88000Km on it does that. It's a side of effect of being manufactured by GM.

Advice from my friend who owns a 99 sunfire (same engine/transmission) change your engine oil to mobil 1 full synthetic and change your transmissions filter & seal and switch to gm synchromesh. It's the best choice you cna make for longevity of the car. It will be costly the first time, but then you can sustain 5-7500Km in between oil changes and the transmission will be good for as long as you own the car.

·
Registered
'98 Corolla
43 Posts
This is very hard to diagnose over the internet. There must be some gearheads that go to your college, ask them to have a look at the Cavalier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts