Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the owner of a 2014 1794 edition tundra, I fail to understand how you purchase a towing package without electric brakes, I fail to understand why the tires wear out at 30K instead of 80K like the Dunlops on my Ridgeline, I fail to understand why they would put a 22
gallon tank on a towing truck when at 8MPG you are looking for gas in a little over 100 miles, as I was going through Texas and New
Mexico I will have a hard time forgiving you for that. I fail to understand why we are still using an stick antenna, I am on my third. I fail to
understand why I cannot put the steering wheel in one place and LEAVE IT, the tailgate does not even have an option to open to the side,
the running boards out of black plastic, cheap is the nicest word I can use, the navigation tells you to turn in a quarter mile in a 70mph speed zone, your towing MPG for the miles till empty isn't worth the electricity its using to send out a signal. Actually I believe its called value engineering, and you are doing it to good for me. If Honda made something that would tow anyone with sense wouldn't buy Toyota.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I am the owner of a 2014 1794 edition tundra, I fail to understand how you purchase a towing package without electric brakes, I fail to understand why the tires wear out at 30K instead of 80K like the Dunlops on my Ridgeline, I fail to understand why they would put a 22
gallon tank on a towing truck when at 8MPG you are looking for gas in a little over 100 miles, as I was going through Texas and New
Mexico I will have a hard time forgiving you for that. I fail to understand why we are still using an stick antenna, I am on my third. I fail to
understand why I cannot put the steering wheel in one place and LEAVE IT, the tailgate does not even have an option to open to the side,
the running boards out of black plastic, cheap is the nicest word I can use, the navigation tells you to turn in a quarter mile in a 70mph speed zone, your towing MPG for the miles till empty isn't worth the electricity its using to send out a signal. Actually I believe its called value engineering, and you are doing it to good for me. If Honda made something that would tow anyone with sense wouldn't buy Toyota.

The only leg you have to stand on is the tank - I would agree with Toyota's use of small tanks in thirsty vehicles.

The side-opening tailgate is not a Honda invention, it was available on 60's station wagons and one of the car/truck hybrid vehicles of the same era (can't recall). The market hasn't used dual swing tailgates for over 50 years because they really aren't worth the extra cost to engineer. You can already google people having problems with their Ridgeline tailgates.

The towing capacity of a Ridgeline is around 3500-5000lbs, which is in the SMALL/MINI truck category like the Tacoma. Honda does not build a vehicle that has serious towing capacities. The towing capacity of a Tundra varies, but now can be as high as 10,500 lbs. That is at/above 3/4 ton US truck capacities.
Brother in law has towed a very large trailer with his Tundra, fully loaded, without issue - of which Father in law towed the SAME trailer with his 2001 5.3/LS 4x4 Suburban that was relatively empty, and was on the edge of 1) being too heavy 2) not being able to handle it. The MPG was under 10mpg as well. When you have to tow heavy loads all the time, buy a diesel if you're worried about MPG. It's just the nature of the beast. Comparing the MPG of a smaller honda engine with little torque to a Tundra that's towing a heavy load is silly.

Same goes for the tires - that is 100% dependent upon weight of the vehicle, mileage of the tire rating, tire manufacturer, roads being driven, and if you're towing (and what you're towing). Tires on our 87 4x4 Suburban wear faster than the tires on our Prius V.... shocking, I know.

Cheap/crappy STEPS has been common on US vehicles for decades. Unless you are buying sliders that incorporate into the frame, they are all just cheap junk steps, nothing else. Provides zero crash relief, zero protection when off road..... even if metal - they are thin walled that crumple at looking at them oddly, or even just rust out (when I worked at a parts store, we sold a lot of them, they are junk). If you want proper sliders that can also act as steps, then that's different.

Electric brake controllers are about $100..... If you're buying a Tundra to tow, this is really a non issue.

1/4 mile at 70mph is about 12-13 seconds. That would be usable so long as you're in the correct lane and knowing where you go. I would assume there are settings where you can make changes to the notifications (our V tells us at 2 miles and then a 1/4 mile).

If you don't like the vehicle or it doesn't work for the needs/wants of you/your family then just sell it. If you tow heavy loads a lot, just buy a diesel Honda..... oh, right....

·
VALUE YOUR FREEDOM? THANK A VETERAN
1 Posts
Wrong vehicle

Sounds like you need a station wagon and a trailer.
But you'd probably complain about that.

·
Registered
713 Posts
The only leg you have to stand on is the tank - I would agree with Toyota's use of small tanks in thirsty vehicles.

The side-opening tailgate is not a Honda invention, it was available on 60's station wagons and one of the car/truck hybrid vehicles of the same era (can't recall). The market hasn't used dual swing tailgates for over 50 years because they really aren't worth the extra cost to engineer. You can already google people having problems with their Ridgeline tailgates.

The towing capacity of a Ridgeline is around 3500-5000lbs, which is in the SMALL/MINI truck category like the Tacoma. Honda does not build a vehicle that has serious towing capacities. The towing capacity of a Tundra varies, but now can be as high as 10,500 lbs. That is at/above 3/4 ton US truck capacities.

Brother in law has towed a very large trailer with his Tundra, fully loaded, without issue - of which Father in law towed the SAME trailer with his 2001 5.3/LS 4x4 Suburban that was relatively empty, and was on the edge of 1) being too heavy 2) not being able to handle it. The MPG was under 10mpg as well. When you have to tow heavy loads all the time, buy a diesel if you're worried about MPG. It's just the nature of the beast. Comparing the MPG of a smaller honda engine with little torque to a Tundra that's towing a heavy load is silly.

Same goes for the tires - that is 100% dependent upon weight of the vehicle, mileage of the tire rating, tire manufacturer, roads being driven, and if you're towing (and what you're towing). Tires on our 87 4x4 Suburban wear faster than the tires on our Prius V.... shocking, I know.

Cheap/crappy STEPS has been common on US vehicles for decades. Unless you are buying sliders that incorporate into the frame, they are all just cheap junk steps, nothing else. Provides zero crash relief, zero protection when off road..... even if metal - they are thin walled that crumple at looking at them oddly, or even just rust out (when I worked at a parts store, we sold a lot of them, they are junk). If you want proper sliders that can also act as steps, then that's different.

Electric brake controllers are about $100..... If you're buying a Tundra to tow, this is really a non issue.

1/4 mile at 70mph is about 12-13 seconds. That would be usable so long as you're in the correct lane and knowing where you go. I would assume there are settings where you can make changes to the notifications (our V tells us at 2 miles and then a 1/4 mile).

If you don't like the vehicle or it doesn't work for the needs/wants of you/your family then just sell it. If you tow heavy loads a lot, just buy a diesel Honda..... oh, right....
Love the comments. I didn't think people would worry about MPG when towing as that can surely variate because of the load being towed. The plastic side steps can be changed put for $200-$300. As far as tires are concerned, that would depend on what tires he has and even if he's even rotating them that way they should be. Great response though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think poor ol' Wayne just didn't do enough research. If he had, he may have bought a truck that better suited his needs.

BTW- Our new 2019 Tundra has a 38 gallon gas tank. Should be good for over 400 miles. :grin:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've owned Ford F-150, F-250 Camper Special, Ford Ranger, Mitsubishi Turbo Diesel, ( still own ). 2008 Tundra LTD,and 14 Tundra LTD. In my opinion The Toys and the Mitsu. have been the best trucks i have owned hands down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think poor ol' Wayne just didn't do enough research. If he had, he may have bought a truck that better suited his needs.

BTW- Our new 2019 Tundra has a 38 gallon gas tank. Should be good for over 400 miles. :grin:
Is the 38 gallon new for 2019? Any previous years have it?

I'm in the market for a pre-owned vehicle and want one that has some towing capabilities in case I get another camper. Have had an old F250 for many years but tired of paying for diesel.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Is the 38 gallon new for 2019? Any previous years have it?

I'm in the market for a pre-owned vehicle and want one that has some towing capabilities in case I get another camper. Have had an old F250 for many years but tired of paying for diesel.
I'm pretty sure the 38 gallon tank has been around for several years. For higher trim levels (Limited, Platinum, 1794) the 38 gallon tank is standard.

We just got home from a 800+ mile road trip through southern Colorado (mostly 2 lane roads) and averaged 17-18 MPG consistently. It was a 5 day trip, and on 3 of the days we climbed over 3 tall passes each day. Truck ran splendidly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've owned Ford F-150, F-250 Camper Special, Ford Ranger, Mitsubishi Turbo Diesel, ( still own ). 2008 Tundra LTD,and 14 Tundra LTD. In my opinion The Toys and the Mitsu. have been the best trucks i have owned hands down.
There is no question in my mind, I'm buying a Tundra eventually. I already sell them and I can't get over their reliability and toughness. Not to mention their resale value. :smile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
11 Participants
mattoyota2019
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing