Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have a 99 tacoma 3.4 v6 4x4. I recently replaced the clutch. Now it will not go into 1st 3rd or 5th. Does not matter if truck is running or not. 2nd 4th and reverse work just fine. What the heck could it be?

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
985 Posts
In the bad old days, this would be a problem with the 2 shift fingers going into the transmission and the lock-out detent between them... but apparently you have just one shift rod.

Could it be the cheap fix for the shift rod bushing and end-piece per this video?

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,559 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :)

What else did you replace in yer clutch system? Flywheel? Throwout bearing? Did you use OEM or aftermarket parts? If aftermarket, which brand and model? ;)

·
Registered
491 Posts
I got my low-miles '96 dirt-cheap a five years ago because it wouldn't go into 1 & 3. Forced it and got it to go in both gears (not that I'm suggesting you try it) Thereafter it shifted in to those gears with decreasing difficulty, until the problem disappeared after a couple months. I suspect plastic chunks of socket bushing were lodged in 1 & 3 gear mechanism, and forcing it chewed them enough to allow shifting. I went ahead and bought a shift-socket bushing kit, and kept it in the glovebox.
Three years later, needing the clutch replaced, and finding only tiny crumbs left of the shift-socket bushing, I had the new kit on hand!

Happy Motoring, Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts