Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sooo, it finally rained in California. It rained so badly that everyone on the freeway travelled around 45mph. Normally if there's a slight drizzle, people will go the posted 65mph or 60. However, we got it good last night and people suddenly forgot how to drive.

Sadly I was 1.5 hrs away from home. I'm used to 1.5 hr commutes, but I couldn't see a damned thing headed home with the wipers at full speed, even when the rain slowed to a sprinkle.

At first I was like okay, maybe this rain is in fact pretty bad. However, I pin pointed the issues while heading home.

1) The windshield wipers from the factory are decent at best and it seems that the manufacturer didn't remove the mold lubrication prior to shipping. The areas not in contact with the wipers had water beading fine. However wherever the blades touched, there was pooling. While in motion, the water seemed to "absorb" into the windshield, not bead and repel. This caused extreme difficulty in seeing through the winshield, as if I was literally staring through a water fountain.

2) The windshield wiper speed is quite slow. You have the first setting and 4 speed settings where the arms will gradually increase speed. However in the second setting, the speed remains the same regardless, which wasn't really at all. So, between the wipers wiping, all I saw was smothered water across the windshield.

Attached are some photos. I have some videos but I realized my location and VIN# are apparent in them, so I have to remake them. Notice the areas where the wipers have not touched.

Luckily rain only comes several days out of the year here, but this is a serious safety issue, I'm assuming created by the wiper blade manufacturing.

Lastly, I want to mention that the PCS is useless in the rain. If you follow behind another vehicle for longer than a 1/4 mile at less than 1/4 mile distance, the sensor becomes useless and PCS is disabled. I'd imagine PCS is something that would be greatly appreciated in adverse weather conditions... Especially with impaired visibility due to poor wiper blades, however that becomes disabled. (See last photo).

Honestly, I'm not sure how to present any of these findings to the dealership, or if I should skip that step and go straight to corporate. However, I'd assume this is just a one off thing, as many other states and countries see rain far more, this would've been brought up. I've yet to see a post on anything related.

I'll be honest, I'm the type to drive like it's a hot sunny day in the worst rain conditions, travelling well above the speed limit in lane 1. But driving this last night, I had several elevated heart rates, a pretty scary hydroplane incident where I had to force my wheel to 3-o-clock while travelling at 75mph to keep straight (didn't see the flooding on the freeway due to the wipers)... I'm actually afraid to allow my wife to drive this vehicle in the rain, despite us picking it up for her a couple weeks ago. But she insists she'd be fine (she was riding shotgun last night) and won't need to take my car while I use her's (the Camry) in rainy conditions.

Attachments

·
Registered
'18 Camry Hybrid XLE
15 Posts
Just a few thoughts...

It's possible that with so little rain in CA, the windshield had a layer of oil on it which made it impossible to get cleared by the wipers. My reasoning for this is that with little rain the fine oil that comes out of some tailpipes and off the road slowly accumulate on your windshield, and with the water shortages and nothing to really get your car dirty, you don't wash it as often as some of us who don't have such great year round weather.

My suggestions would be to replace the wiper blades, seriously clean the windshield and then regularly apply Rain-X.

·
Registered
2018 Camry Hybrid LE
76 Posts
I live in Phoenix and, like you, get very little rain. FWIW, I've not seen the problems you've reported. I think cdn-tch is moving you in the right direction: clean the glass and wiper blades well. Possible replace the blades. I've never used Rain-X so can't comment on that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ordered some PIAA Si-Tech wipers and some S100. I'ma give the car a good cleaning and go extra on the windshield. Never had to get PIAAs as Bosch Icons we're good enough, but we'll see.

·
6,638 Posts
It takes ONE oil burning truck in front of you on FWY, to micro coat windshield with oil film. And there are plenty of them around.
I say, use some very good solvent to clean WS. Wipe it clean so that it starts squeaking. Then RainX it few times in a row, following application procedure. I RanX routinely and barely use wiper blades, in rainy state of WA. WPs irritate me, RainX is my best friend. Also, I never have any droplets accumulation on side glass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts