Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,
I've got a 2013 Tacoma with 65k on it. My check engine light recently came on and it rang up as my rear O2 sensor. After replacing said sensor the light stayed on. I "turned it off" disconnecting the battery but 20 miles later it was back on. Assuming there are no holes in the exhaust is there anything else it could be? I can't imagine I botched the direct swap replacement.
Thanks

·
13,393 Posts
What was the exact code that was pulled? ;)

Yer best bet is to use an OBDII scanner/reader with live data graphing so you can actually see how the O2 sensor is responding/reporting. It could be a bad wire in the circuit. BTW, what brand/model was the O2 sensor you replaced it with? If it was a Bosch, I won't be surprised it didn't work. Those don't seem to work well on Toyota vehicles. ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
i believe there's 2 of the O2 sensors, one before the cat and theres one by the passenger side. 2 differnent makes too. they're not the same

·
Registered
181 Posts
Assuming you have the 4.0L V6 (1GR-FE) engine, here is some info that should help you...

Bank 1 = passenger (right) side
Bank 2 = driver (left) side

Sensor 1 = upstream, before the CAT. These are air/fuel ratio sensors
Sensor 2 = downstream, after the CAT. These are heated oxygen sensors.

Bank 1 Sensor 1 = Toyota part # 89467-04020 (Denso part # 234-9051)
Bank 1 Sensor 2 = Toyota part # 89465-04290 (Denso part # 234-4261)

Bank 2 Sensor 1 = Toyota part # 89467-04020 (Denso part # 234-9051)
Bank 2 Sensor 2 = Toyota part # 89465-04300 (Denso part # 234-4260)

The original sensors are Denso. If you buy them from Toyota, they are EXPENSIVE! I opted to replace all of my sensors with the Denso aftermarket part numbers for about half of the price. What is the difference between the OEM Denso and aftermarket Denso? I do not know.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all,
So this is a 4 cyclinder, I'm pretty sure the code was for bank 1 sensor 2. But, I'm only saying this because I looked it up afterward and it matches with what nafterclifen said. The type of reader was just some little toy advanced auto handed me and told me to go plug it in. I think on my way home i'll be able to pass a dealership and see if they're scanner identifies the same one, and to double check which code it is.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Assuming you have the 4.0L V6 (1GR-FE) engine, here is some info that should help you...

Bank 1 = passenger (right) side

Bank 2 = driver (left) side

Sensor 1 = upstream, before the CAT. These are air/fuel ratio sensors

Sensor 2 = downstream, after the CAT. These are heated oxygen sensors.

Bank 1 Sensor 1 = Toyota part # 89467-04020 (Denso part # 234-9051)

Bank 1 Sensor 2 = Toyota part # 89465-04290 (Denso part # 234-4261)

Bank 2 Sensor 1 = Toyota part # 89467-04020 (Denso part # 234-9051)

Bank 2 Sensor 2 = Toyota part # 89465-04300 (Denso part # 234-4260)

The original sensors are Denso. If you buy them from Toyota, they are EXPENSIVE! I opted to replace all of my sensors with the Denso aftermarket part numbers for about half of the price. What is the difference between the OEM Denso and aftermarket Denso? I do not know.
Your original Denso downstream sensor from Rockauto is $46. I only would use Denso.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Thank you all,

So this is a 4 cyclinder, I'm pretty sure the code was for bank 1 sensor 2. But, I'm only saying this because I looked it up afterward and it matches with what nafterclifen said. The type of reader was just some little toy advanced auto handed me and told me to go plug it in. I think on my way home i'll be able to pass a dealership and see if they're scanner identifies the same one, and to double check which code it is.
If you have an android device buy an Elm obd II adapter from amazon for $10 and then download Torque. You'll be able to read codes and live sensor info. If you don't have an android buy a cheaper reader from amazon for $15. Post the codes here. I suggest Denso o2 sensors. Rockauto has them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have an android device buy an Elm obd II adapter from amazon for $10 and then download Torque. You'll be able to read codes and live sensor info. If you don't have an android buy a cheaper reader from amazon for $15. Post the codes here. I suggest Denso o2 sensors. Rockauto has them.

Wow, I didn't know that was something you could buy so cheaply! I am outrageously excited about that. I'll check back with codes after my 2-day prime shipping

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Wow, I didn't know that was something you could buy so cheaply! I am outrageously excited about that. I'll check back with codes after my 2-day prime shipping
It you're doing the Torque option I suggest spending the $5 for Torque Pro.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Six yrs old and 65K is throwing O2 sensor codes? That should be somewhat concerning.
We need the codes to know the actual issue. If it's the CAT it's possible it's still under warranty.

My front O2 sensor on my Vibe failed at 3 years/ 90k.. (All highway miles) It happens!

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Six yrs old and 65K is throwing O2 sensor codes? That should be somewhat concerning.

I am guessing wiring based on his location in Colorado.

Snow control and rodents both seem likely.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man, I hope its not something worse than the 02 sensor. So I got the aforementioned blue tooth obd 2 sensor and its the dang coolest thing I've ever seen. I'm getting some codes that I'm having a hard time understanding. I'm just going to dump everything down here without making any guesses because I'll be wrong.

Test report:
------------------
MID:$01 TID:$91
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
Test incomplete or dependant test failed
--
MID:$01 TID:$93
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
--
MID:$01 TID:$94
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
--
MID:$01 TID:$95
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
--
MID:$01 TID:$96
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
--
MID:$02 TID:$07
Minimum sensor Voltage for test cycle(calculated) - O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
--
MID:$02 TID:$08
Maximum sensor Voltage for test cycle(calculated) - O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
--
MID:$02 TID:$8b
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
--
MID:$02 TID:$8d
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
--
MID:$02 TID:$8f
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
--
MID:$01 TID:$91
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
--
MID:$01 TID:$93
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
--
MID:$01 TID:$94
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
--
MID:$01 TID:$95
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
--
MID:$01 TID:$96
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
--
MID:$02 TID:$07
Minimum sensor Voltage for test cycle(calculated) - O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
--
MID:$02 TID:$08
Maximum sensor Voltage for test cycle(calculated) - O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
--
MID:$02 TID:$8b
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
--
MID:$02 TID:$8d
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
--
MID:$02 TID:$8f
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
--

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Part 2:
So I asked the phone to spit out O2 readings and this is what I saw. Bank 1 sensor 2 (the one i though was dead) was showing this nice graph. while bank 1 sensor 1 didnt show anything. Could the front one be the real issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Mad dogg. I have Torque pro too but I'm not very familiar with using the test results and graphs. When you open torque and are at the home screen, click on fault codes and let it read your codes? Most codes start with a P0000. I also use realtime information and set up gauges for those readings.

Yes the front sensor could be dead and if so it would be throwing a code like a p0130 or a p0134. Post the code(s) here.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Dead sensor at 65K miles. Not common, but not unusual. I had that happen to me not long after that mileage in a 2.4L 1st Gen Tacoma. A couple of days before I cleaned the engine at a local car wash(not illegal in my area). I had done this a number of time before w/o issue. Did that kill it? Who knows.

You may find in some cases that Denso O2/AF sensor wires are longer than the original that came with the truck. Denso made Toyota's OEM sensor to an exact spec - wires cut to a more precise length. The Denso replacements are made to fit a wide variety of engines, so there may be a bit more length than the OEM it replaces.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK here's the error code: P0138:

Fault log report generated by Torque for Android
=================================================

Current Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no current faults

Pending Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no pending faults

Historic Fault Log
------------------
P0138: O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
----------------------------------------------------
ECU reports no other fault codes logged

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I'd replace the downstream sensor. I would use a Denso. Prob about $50. Create a signature when you have time. Good job getting torque, etc. You're doing it right!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I lost track of how many elm Bluetooth or Autel $15 scanners I've given out as gifts over the years? People love em and most didnt know how simple it is to use. I'd give them for Xmas gifts and then hold a little how to seminar.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
8 Participants
Vibe
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing