Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Confirmed RAV4 is reacting with airstream from odorless industrial exhaust, emitting noxious fumes/odor. Able to recreate simply by moving vehicle in and out of airstream (able to recreate up to 1/4 mile from plant with 12 mph wind). Parked in airstream and had company Emergency Response Technicians verify presence of obnoxious odor and test for toxicity using Eagle 6 gas portable sampler. No toxic gas was detected even though fumes were significant to both technicians. Odor seems ubiquitous when present such that none could pinpoint specific source on vehicle.
No such cause with mine. It would appear no matter where I was.

If I were you though, I'd be worried about the air quality/safety around the plant.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Very interesting topic. I was just issued a 2019 RAV4 LE with 1200 miles on the odometer. Will be driving it this week in South Dakota. Will report any odd smells. Right now, smells like “new car.”

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oooooh THAT SMELL. Yes, I smell that smell. Driving the Gen 5 like I stole it for 700 miles yesterday. Driving it to the store today. I totally smell it. Strong odor. Smells like a cross between brake pads and electrical. Nasty. Glad this car is a rental. Getting rid of it in two days.

·
Rav4va
4 Posts
As I posted previous, I confirmed the source of the odor I experience. I say experience because I now have 30k miles on my Rav4 and the smell is just as re-creatable as when new. The vehicle reacts with a chemical in a specific industrial air stream. I have never been able to determine what is in the particular air stream. I have since downloaded a wind direction app which I monitor for current air direction. I use this as a guide where to park my vehicle out of the air stream. I use my Rav4 much as canaries were used in coal mines, lol. My suspicion is that the industrial air stream contains fluorine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Wow. Did my post kill this thread?

Anybody else with information about the smell issue?
Nah, life happens, that's all.

I haven't noticed any burning plastic type smells since Feb, early March. I do still notice the odd "cedar wood" smell from the ventilation system on occasion, depending on temp and humidity. Higher humidity weather tends to make it appear at relatively low levels. Also tends to show up if I set the temperature to high. Again, it's not normal new car smell.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
As I posted previous, I confirmed the source of the odor I experience. I say experience because I now have 30k miles on my Rav4 and the smell is just as re-creatable as when new. The vehicle reacts with a chemical in a specific industrial air stream. I have never been able to determine what is in the particular air stream. I have since downloaded a wind direction app which I monitor for current air direction. I use this as a guide where to park my vehicle out of the air stream. I use my Rav4 much as canaries were used in coal mines, lol. My suspicion is that the industrial air stream contains fluorine.
I would think that you have more to worry about than a reaction with, or in your car if fluorine is in the air! :oops:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
10 Participants
InTheUS
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing