Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,115 Posts
I've looked into light weight crank pulleys a bit before, as far as I know all information is skeptical and confusing and may better benefit if the engine has performance modifications. If you are stock, I'd recommend leaving it stock as I have also heard about potential damage but like I said all the information is skeptical... just like throttle spacers...

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've looked into light weight crank pulleys a bit before, as far as I know all information is skeptical and confusing and may better benefit if the engine has performance modifications. If you are stock, I'd recommend leaving it stock as I have also heard about potential damage but like I said all the information is skeptical... just like throttle spacers...
I tend to agree to this. Crank pulleys are also acting as harmonic balancers. Any modifications to them could potentially induce unwanted vibrations along the crank shaft, thus exposing the seals to premature damage and, of course, hurting tight fitted engine internals.

Highly modified engines, with high strength/low weight internals could benefit from a lightweight crank pulley.

Still, I’m curious to hear from more experienced people here.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't see how a few ounces would make a difference in performance. It does not make logical sense as if anything it would only make a difference during take off You probably make a bigger difference by taking your spare tire out and removing your back seats. Lighter tires and wheels would make a bigger difference. Also vibration and longevity would be compromise. Gimmick.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,115 Posts
I don't see how a few ounces would make a difference in performance. It does not make logical sense as if anything it would only make a difference during take off You probably make a bigger difference by taking your spare tire out and removing your back seats. Lighter tires and wheels would make a bigger difference. Also vibration and longevity would be compromise. Gimmick.
I'd say getting a lightweight crank pulley for a stock engine would be a gimmick. On the other hand if that stock engine was... boosted and has no power steering or AC it might have some use... To get more info on this I would suggest asking the racing scene as they would have the best and more "universal" answers (those cam pulley's are purple for a reason...).

·
straight cash homie
18,941 Posts

Contact the OP in this post since he's directly involved

1 - 10 of 10 Posts