Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NST has made a lightweight pulley kit for many different Toyotas for decades. I was curious what MR2 owners have thought about them that have them on their MR2, or any other brand for that matter. There is a lot of talk over the pros and cons of them but there is no evidence or proof that they do harm, only conjecture. There is proof that they work to free up HP and I've spoken to some that have over 100k miles of trouble free ownership. I've also heard that they work even better on turbocharged and supercharged cars. I have an 89 Supercharged MR2, 2009 Corolla Turbo, and 2017 Corolla iM that I've thought about installing them on. I would be more concerned on a higher revving engine like the 4AG, 4AGZE, or 2ZZ vs. the 1ZZ but I would like to hear from anyone that has them on any engine. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the HKS pulley on my AW11SC. IMHO, it's well worth the time and money to install. If you are really serious about an increase in horsepower, the pulley needs to be paired with a decent free flow exhaust and intake system.

These mods will not hurt your engine. It will make your 4AGZE come alive, making it perform the way it should.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the HKS pulley on my AW11SC. IMHO, it's well worth the time and money to install. If you are really serious about an increase in horsepower, the pulley needs to be paired with a decent free flow exhaust and intake system.

These mods will not hurt your engine. It will make your 4AGZE come alive, making it perform the way it should.
What intake are you using?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed an HKS air intake kit but didn't like the air filter. I modified it to work with a K&N air filter. Back then you could actually phone and talk to one of their tech's and they would calculate the amount of extra air your engine would require to suit your mod's and custom build one for you if need be, which they did...... :cool: I also installed a TRD four into one exhaust header that I had ceramic coated which was actually back then manufactured by Doug Thorley, a well known California hotrodder. Deleting the cat and stock exhaust and replacing with a ceramic coated Trust exhaust created the end result I was after, but also created a monster for the meek who don't like noise..... :devilish:

HKS pulley, 265 cams, ported and polished head.

All these mod's when combined together make a huge difference in the breathing capabilities of the 4AGZE, safely increasing horsepower. The exhaust note it makes is thunderous.......:cool:..... a wonderful cacophony of mechanical sound. Akio Yoshida would be proud.....😊

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

1 - 4 of 4 Posts