Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a nut on my thermostat housing doesnt want to tighten.

after replacing the thermostat i found there was a leak there..so i went to tighten the upper nut, i kept tightening it but it just kept getting loose...

i was doing it the right way :p i think the nut isnt sitting on the thread ....

is there a way to fix this? shoudl i get a smaller nut? or put some kind on thing aroud the threads?

help would be good dont know how the leak is affecting my car when i am driving it..other than fillind coolant every few days...

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
I'm guessing you mean the metal pipe that holds the thermostat and connects the lower radiator hose to the waterpump?

If you tried tightening it considerably hard, you probably stripped it, in which case you probably need to take it to a machine shop and see if they can rethread it (maybe tap it?).

if you can, take a flashlight and look into the hole and see what the threads look like.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
umm not sure.. here is the pic curtosy of 88le

i am trying to put the nut on the gold things you see in the middle of the picture :) there are two of them the bottom is fine but the top on, the nut keeps turning and turning its gets tight then loose again...

i think what you said seems right.. is there any other way to fix the problem? eg a smaller nut? or does it have to be taken to the mechanic?

also is it expensive to fix a problem like this generally?

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
It's impossible to tell from that pic, but IMHO it looks hellaciously stripped. Borrow a tap and die set from someone, find the corresponding die and fix the stud.

It's just that simple!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hehe thats not my engine :p its 88le's pic.. i was trying to point out what the problem was :)

so if the the nut doesnt tighten on the thread a tap and die should allow it to tighten?

not sure what a tap and die is, can u buy them from hardware stores?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
cool..so basically it will cut into the gold bolt thing in the pic to make the current thread a bit deeper?

does this mean if i keep striiping the bolt and keep tapping the bolt will file down to nothing :p

i will pop to a harware store and pick a set up..might be useful for other things around the house too :)..

also i am not trying to create threads in the hole, rather threads on the gold bolt thats on the metal where the housing of the thermostat rests...

·
Registered
750 Posts
Once you cut the new threads you'll have to go to the next size down with the nut. The size needed will be stamped into the die.

The proper way to cut is -> 1 full turn, <- half a turn, and so on.

If you find that the set is a little more $ than you thought, you can always just replace the stud.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts