Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just driving home and was playing with the o/d button. i noticed that if i was rolling (about 40mph) and i tapped the gas to make the engine rev a little, it responded a lot quicker while o/d was off. am i just imagining things? it wasnt at a speed where using 3rd or 4th gear would be the difference.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Yeah it does make the response better since you lock out the overdrive gear hence raising shift points for the lower three gears and as far as I think, the transmission does not think as much as it does when the overdrive is turned on. Even more interestingly, you should try shifting to L at a very low speed and at very low revvs (around 2000 rpm). the car would jerk for a second and shift to L. Then floor the gas. You will be amazed at how the needle races up to the redline and how the car responds.

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
yeah, I noticed it affects response myself back when my car was still an automatic.

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why does it make throttle respond better though? is it kidna like how turning off the a/c makes the engine perform better?

·
Still got love 4 the AE92
489 Posts
I think its kinda like bicycle gears. The first three are smaller and easier to spin, and overdrive is larger so its better at high speed. Imagine trying to do a wheelie in your hardest gear on a bike vs. the easiest gear.

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
Xevuhtess77 said:
it wasnt at a speed where using 3rd or 4th gear would be the difference.
You'll be suprised.

It's just holding the gear, that's all the O/D function is.

I suggest you drive around a lot more but pay attention how the car shifts, then you'll realize how often it's in 4th when you're not on the highway.

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
Xevuhtess77 said:
why does it make throttle respond better though? is it kidna like how turning off the a/c makes the engine perform better?
Because it makes the car hold gears longer and shift later. Therefore, whereas before it would not downshift because the previous gear had been shortened, now it can. This means the car will jump or be a lot more responsive because it is in the optimum gear for acceleration instead of staying in a higher gear and nothing trying to accelerate from those low rpm's which are outside of the power band. Staying in the power band makes any car more responsive and that is what O/D affects.

EDIT: nevermind, I was thining about the ect putton. Throttle response does not change with the O/D except that it might be in a different gear so it will either down shift or stay in gear at higher rpms. Depending on what gear it is in is what changes the way it feels.

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Isn't that the point of o/d though? To give you better gas mileage? Or... use a higher gear for highway driving?

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
4th gear tends to come in as soon as 60-65km/h, or 40ish mph.

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im just gonna leave o/d off during driving, but turn it on when im rollin on the highway. grr i left o/d on during autocross!

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
for autocross i'd leave it in 2nd, let it rev up to 4-5000, i imagine you're not going that fast anyways, if its a bit faster than that, then leave it in drive and leave Od off

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
for autocross, you can even try leaving it in first and see what happens......just make sure that you have a tranny cooler tho....our first gear can go up to 100kmh if you really push it....

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
but the peak torque is around 4000 and peak hp is around 5000..... going all the way up to 6000 is pointless, and most autox courses need second gear

·
Registered
210 Posts
yah, i tried the o/d thing after readin this post...the rpm needle shoots up when u hit the gas peddle...i was quite impressed...

....and kind of high jackin this thread, but whats the power button function x_x

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
Xevuhtess77 said:
but the peak torque is around 4000 and peak hp is around 5000..... going all the way up to 6000 is pointless, and most autox courses need second gear

hmmm.....never done autox before, so I was just speculating.....

cuz the best way on an actual track is to stay in 2nd, since the gear is long.....but in autox, the turns are closer together, and there shouldn't be any actual long straightaways for you to get up to speed, staying in 1st could allow you take corners better by using engine braking instead of the uneveness of using your brakes while also keeping your brakes from fading.....could also be beneficial by saving you the time that it takes to drop from 2nd to first

and there actually is still power up to 5500......but not till actual redline tho

but for real, as said- just speculating, since I've never actually autox'ed my car before

·
nub
313 Posts
s6arface said:
yah, i tried the o/d thing after readin this post...the rpm needle shoots up when u hit the gas peddle...i was quite impressed...

....and kind of high jackin this thread, but whats the power button function x_x
its supposed to give you more aggressive shifting patterns or something to that affect

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
most autox courses only need second gear. though i have an auto, like all the cars at the events are manuals and they only use 1st to launch and then stay in second gear for the whole course. no one i talked to ever downshifted to 1st while on the course.

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
^ Probably cause 2nd -> 1st shifts are a pain in the ass. You would have to be pretty close to stopped to actually have to shift into 1st.

I never shift from 2nd to 1st unless I'm stopped at a stop sign. I don't think there is any need to.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts