Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
MR2 V6
1991 MR2 Turbo/240sx
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am about to buy a 93 camry v6 manual. thing is when its running it sometimes flashes "O/D off" on the right of the dash. I thought Over Drive was for automatics only. How can I check to see if the car is an original manual car and not a tranny swap?

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
haha snaps thats one heck of a good question.
even if it had been swapped, what the heck could have triggered the light...

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Check the bottom of the radiator for a transmission cooler maybe :dunno:
Also, since the car is a manual, the dash should not have lights for the position of the automatic shifter (if Gen 3 Camry have this feature).

·
MR2 V6
1991 MR2 Turbo/240sx
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im sure many of you have autos on your gen 3. is there idicators on the dash for the position of the gear selector?

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Yes, RIGHT down the center between the Tac and Speedo.

Also, the one your looking t MUST be an SE V6, as those were the ONLY V6 92-96 sold with a manual tranny in the us.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
PsychoSquirrel said:
then why the **** is the O/D light flashing on and off?

Cause your special, :lol: . Honestly makes NO sense at ALL. there should not even be an O/D light on a Manual tranny Camry.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Did Gen 3 SE V6 have automatic transmission as an option?

It could be a swap though. Look for other indications that it's a SE. The back should have a black plate that says Camry rather than the red reflector thing all the way across (though it could be painted). Black mirrors and black side molding should also be present.

·
5S-FU
96 Toyota Camry LE
600 Posts
The wires for the overdrive can short out sometimes

It happened in my automatic, but you should look into it because if your tranny is switching to o/d spastically, it might screw with it.

Do manuals even have overdrive?

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Manuals have overdrive, depending on the gear ratios. My 07 Camry, technically, has two of them even since 4th and 5th are less than 1:1. But there is no indicator on the dash to say OD Off since that is just telling you the transmission won't shift into OD. On a manual, the driver does the shifting so it's up to the driver when or whether or not to use 5th gear (OD) and the driver can tell which gear the car is in by the way the shifter sits.

·
MR2 V6
1991 MR2 Turbo/240sx
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the light was only on in certain situations, cant remember if i was less than 5th gear when it was on. and yes it is an SE

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
^ See if you can get a pic of it the next time.

touringcamry said:
Did Gen 3 SE V6 have automatic transmission as an option?

Yes they did. I found that out a few weeks ago, :lol:.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
^ lol...a little behind in the times, eh, adam? ;)

but yes, there are plenty more auto SE's out there than 5speeds even...at least here in Canada.

And correction on your previous post as well....5speed v6's only for 92-93 SE's with 3vzfe

and there isn't even an o/d function on a 5spd...no idea why it would be flashing....should try looking at the shop manual and looking at the troubleshooting section

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Eye8Pussies said:
^ lol...a little behind in the times, eh, adam? ;)

but yes, there are plenty more auto SE's out there than 5speeds even...at least here in Canada.
Here in Connecticut, almost all of the SE 3VZ's are Manual's, haha. Not many Auto's at all.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Sounds like it could be a gauge cluster or transmission swap...

Gauge cluster swap would mean that the odometer could show less miles than are actually on the car.

·
Registered
Gen 3 Camry
445 Posts
good pick up, touringcamry. had the mileage been unusually low i would be suspicious of the real mileage on the car.

however, since it has 203k miles on it, i doesn't really make a lot of sense.

it's sounding more like a transmission swap. the o/d wires run from the little button on the shifter down through the center console. if they're shorting out, i dare say the short would be in the center console area where the old shifter used to be rather than the dashboard.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts