Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3SFE 1997 engine. I've installed a Toga HV oil pump. My engine also has an oil cooler. But when I turn on the engine and accelerate it oil starts shooting out of the oil filter. When I remove the filter it has blown out the filters O-ring. I use 5W-30 since I've rolled it of the show room. What can it be?

·
Toyota Collector
12,162 Posts
Either the oil filter seal is defective or the oil pump is putting out way way too much pressure. Do you have a pressure gauge you can use?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Either the oil filter seal is defective or the oil pump is putting out way way too much pressure. Do you have a pressure gauge you can use?
I recently installed the HV oil pump from Toga. I haven't even had the chance to place a oil gauge. I don't want to run dry the engine just to see how much oil pressure its doing. It has to be a lot because the filter O-ring is being blown off, from two filters. One OEM, another a cheaper brand but a better gasket. I even used two diffrent sandwich adapters.:panic:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Top of my head I'd say it's the high volume oil pump blowing the o-rings out; I would check the manufacturers website and see if they have a recommendation for an oil filter for your particular vehicle.

When you increase RPM's in the engine the oil pump ( now being a high volume type) does what it is designed to do; move alot of oil quick; the filter just can't process that amount and so it seeks the path of least resistance being the o-ring.

I would also get an oil pressure gauge on it and see what the pressure really is at idle and at a higher RPM; (parked of course so you can keep an eye on things).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.