Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1992 xtra cab 4x4
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys, im not getting much help on the 95+ forum, and i was hoping someone here would be a bit more helpful.

http://toyotanation.com/forum/t174793.html

thats the other thread.

i dont have a wide selection of tools, just basic box end wrenches and sockets. (need to get some deep sockets)

im having a hell of a time getting these things off.
thanks
jeff

·
rookie
796 Posts
I was scared like a box of ding dongs in the hands of Biggie Smalls when it came to thinking about busting those stupid things off, I posted a thread somewhere with the part number to the nuts. anyways BUY NEW O2SENSOR NUTS! you will most likely destroy the old ones, drench it in bolt-shnike (PB Blaster) and use a propane torch on them, heat up where the nut meets the stud and clamp down a nice pair of vice grips on the boy and DOOO IT! I was so surprised at how the torch helped.

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
It doesn't hurt to cut into them with a Dremel tool, either. Just don't hit yer threads...:eek:

Start spraying them with PB Blaster at least one week before you want to get them off..:D

Also, be sure to dremel off all the old gasket; they can be a b!tch to get off.

·
Registered
1992 xtra cab 4x4
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dont have a dremel, or a torch......
dont have the $ for either item besides.....

so just pb and some vise grips?
gah.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
Vice grips are pretty good for this task, but my favorites are alligator or cobra pliers by Knipex.

These are certainly not cheap tools, but they are the best pliers I've ever used.

everyone should have some

Anyhow soak it good with penetrant and see if you can get them loose. Sometimes they will only come off with heat.

·
Registered
1992 xtra cab 4x4
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how much would a small torch run me?

cam, do you have one by chance?

·
Registered
92 Posts
You can get a small propane torch at wal-mart for like 20 bucks.

No dremel- no problem, you could do the same thing effectivley with a hack saw and they are about 5 bucks, just be careful still.

·
Registered
1992 xtra cab 4x4
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the problem is, its so hard to get to, i can barely get a socket wrench in there.... should i unbolt that portion? if i do that, i have to go through the same wrench/torch/cut/cuss process on two exhaust flanges.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah, I dont know if you can even reasonably actually undo the bolts on taht part. I tried for a few hours using every possible thing I could think of. In the end I cut off my cat, found out how to trick the o2 sensor and put in a straight pipe. Yay for no tests in IN.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts