Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know of any bluetooth adapters that can plug into Toyota OBD1 ports to give you data you don't normally get?

I've seen on Youtube scanners that you can pair to your phone and give off information like air/fuel mixture, tachometer, throttle position, etc. I've seen them for GM OBD1 ports. Does the Toyota ECU relay this information at all? Is there a scanner you can use to extract stuff like that? Don't need it for anything, but it would be fun to see the information these old cars are able to determine.

One like this

·
Toyota Collector
11,821 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,792 Posts
Very cool! I didn't know something like this existed for OBD1!

Added this to the sticky.

·
Registered
1990 Toyota Camry LE
211 Posts
I remember reading somewhere toyOBD1 doesn't work with our cars? I think it was 87-91 3SFE US engines or something..not 100% sure though.

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,508 Posts
There was never an OBD-1 standard. So each manufacturer implemented their own proprietary analogue version. Even within the same manufacturer, implementation will vary. Not all models and years are supported by ZF ToyOBD1. Somewhere on site is list of supported models and years. I was looking to get scanner for my wife's '94 Corolla DX, but it supported only '93 Corolla. Which didn't get OBD-2 until '95.5 anyway, but there was enough changes to Toyota's OBD-1 implementation year-by-year that made later years not useable with ToyOBD1 reader.

EDIT: also looks like everything is out of stock. If you search the archives, you can find schematic to build your own. Also on some Russian site as well.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the breath of data the ECU in the 2nd gen Camry has? Can it know throttle position, exact coolant temp, or brake is applied, oil pressure, etc?

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,266 Posts
That info is in the wiring diagram (at least somewhat).

Inputs:
- AFM voltage (airflow)
- Intake air temp (in AFM)
- Road speed (from gauge cluster)
- Water temp (water temp sensor)
- Brakes applied (brake light switch)
- Current transmission gear (auto 3s-fe, 2vz has trans control built in)
- Throttle position (and idle switch for manual trans cars)
- Narrow band O2 (one or two, depending)
- EGR gas temp (later California models only)
- AC on/off
- Electrical load (headlights or rear defroster on or off)
- Cam position (from distributor)
- Ignitor feedback (whether spark was successful according to the igniter)

It is just about the minimum you need to run an engine... I have recollections of a screenshot from the old school techstream software that showed maybe 20 possible ECU status outputs and that's it.

You can use a multimeter to get some of the information directly from the diagnostics port. The Vf pin reads back fuel trims, the O2 pin is the O2 sensor voltage, etc.

-Charlie

·
Toyota Collector
11,821 Posts
IMO there is simply not enough complexity in the OBD1 EFI system to make a real time monitor useful. Replace the O2, plugs and wires and you've got a perfectly running engine assuming nothing else is damaged like intake/vacuum lines and any connectors/sensors. Of which there are not many.

On the 2VZ as far as I can gather only the ES250 is compatible with the monitor.

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,508 Posts
Also due to analogue nature of Toyota's OBD-1 implementation, sampling-rate is extremely slow. Data comes in at about 1-sample per second.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts