Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 tercel with 195,00 and it runs great,but check engine light came on.
how does the paper clip work on my car? Thank you.:eek:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Here's the procedure from the Haynes manual (which is well worth buying, by the way):

Locate the check connector/diagnostic box under the hood, on driver's side (a lilttle black box about an inch or two square). Open its lid. Use a paperclip (or any short bit of wire) to connect the E1 and T terminals (look under the lid to see which is which).

Turn the ignition key to "on" (do not start the car), then watch the Check Engine Light. A long flash is a ten, and a short flash is a unit, so two long flashes followed by three short flashes would be 23, for example.

Haynes lists what all the codes means.

I bet you get 21, oxygen sensor (just a guess).

Edit: Damn, just noticed you have a 95, so I don't know whether yours is one of the last of the OBD1's (which you can read with a paper clip), or one of the first of the OBD2's (for which you need to buy a code reader).

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Tercel
74 Posts
I also have a 95' Tercel, so who knows if our cars are OBD I or OBD II?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Look next to the fuse box under the hood. If you see a little plastic box, with "diagnostic" written on the lid, I think it's OBD1. That's where you connect the E1 and T pins with a paper clip.

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Tercel
74 Posts
OBD I here! I just looked under the hood and low and behold mine has the little black box next to the fuse box with the word "DIAGNOSIS" stamped on it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Tercel
74 Posts
Hey guys, my Tercel threw a code and I am trying to retrieve it. I tried doing the paper clip thing and thre is more than one T terminal (TE1, Ts, Tt). I tried the E1 connector with all three (NOT together at the same time) individually and was not able to get the check engine light to flash. In one of the times (I beleive E1 and Tt) the airbag light started flashing quickly, but I did not count and stopped. What am I doing wrong or is the airbag light the one I should be counting? HELP!!!

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Tercel
74 Posts
Thanks for the link and info! But now I am confused...:confused: Yesterday when I got home I tried doing the paper clip thing and nothing...the light just stood on. So I decided to just reset it by pulling the EFI 15AMP fuse to see if it would come on again. Right before closing the hood I also noticed that the fuse box has a fuse for OBDII...huh??? Then I looked at the engine label under the hood and it states OBDII Compliant. If my Tercel is OBDII then why does it have the little DIAGNOSIS box underneath the hood? and why was I able to reset the light by pulling the fuse. I thought only OBDI Toyotas had the little black DIAGNOSIS box and were able to reset light by simply pulling the fuse. Don't OBDII vehicles need a Scanning Tool to read codes and reset lights?

What the hell is going on here...:disappoin BTW, the light did not come on again on my way to work this morning (35 miles).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts