Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am having some rough idle issues and I would like to troubleshoot. My truck doesnt have an rpm gauge and I want to get a obd2 plugin to get data on my phone. Does anyone know what parameters can be monitored on these t100s through the obd2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1998 Toyota T100
102 Posts
I have this bluetooth adapter, and it works great.
https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Product...qid=1370057783&sr=8-1&keywords=obd2+bluetooth

I spent 5 dollars in android app store to get 'torque', an app that works with that device and is very flexible to set up. I can read these parameters, with real-time gauges, on my phone:

-engine RPM
-Throttle position (percentage)
-coolant temp
-air/fuel ratio measured (I'm guessing this is from O2 sensor)
-ambient air temp
-oil temp
-mass air flow rate
-timing advance

I guess these are all things that the ECU knows from the car sensors, and can be outputted through OBD.

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
15,249 Posts
Great thanks. I have an iPhone so I need to get one with Wi-Fi I think. But what car are you reading that data on?

His Profile says he's driving a 1998 T100 with the 3.4 V6.
This adapter gets decent reviews for iphone using the Dash Command App

https://www.amazon.com/Foseal-Scann...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=82D83YQQ3YTFZQSZNCR8

http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/dashcommand/
They have adapters listed on their site as well. I don't have any experience with either but it does say it provides the info you want to monitor.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I to have the same adapter/torque setup as mentioned its great - I used it much more than my Scangauge II which I would recommend as well.

You do not need an internet connection once the app is downloaded (torque pro). It is very worth the $5 price. Almost all the parameters the the OBD system uses can be monitored with that setup. I generally use it for: fuel trims long/short, o2 sensor voltage, water temp, timing advance, vacuum (MAP), RPM, MPH, instant MPG readings and of course trip data for multiple fill ups. You can adjust the "sensitivity" and consequently the reaction times of the sensor readout on this unit - it is pretty quick and the RPM's are easily monitored. You can completely adjust how you like your gauges to be setup. The T100 cluster cowl holds a phone just about perfectly if it has a rubberized case - it can sit right in front of your oem gauges and you can design how you want your digital Torque app gauges to look and which to show. You can even save multiple screens of various gauge displays to toggle back and forth.

Also as a heads up, you could buy yourself a gauge cluster with a tach if you wanted - the plug is back there :)

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
15,249 Posts
I to have the same adapter/torque setup as mentioned its great - I used it much more than my Scangauge II which I would recommend as well.

You do not need an internet connection once the app is downloaded (torque pro). It is very worth the $5 price.

Also as a heads up, you could buy yourself a gauge cluster with a tach if you wanted - the plug is back there :)
I thought Torque only worked on Android phones?

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
15,249 Posts
I wasn't aware of that. Bummer for them!
I could be wrong but that sure seems to be the way it comes across by users and their website.
Sure gets great write ups.
I was considering buying a used android phone on ebay just to run Torque Pro. But not sure what adapter I'd need for my 95' Confused as weather it's OBDI or OBDII.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone know what parameters can be monitored on these t100s through the obd2?

You've got lots of answers already, but FWIW I recently bought this on Amazon and it worked great with my 97. I just used the free ScanTool app and it was adequate to check basic engine data, read codes and clear the MIL.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9S71LW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have an android phone though, don't think the scanner works with iphones. :dunno:

·
1997 T-100 bought Sept`02
1997 T-100 DX X-cab
194 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey everyone I ended up getting one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-Scanner-Adapter-Diagnostic-Trouble/dp/B00WPW6BAE

After finding out the obd2 port wasn't powered I found that the fuse had been pulled on the obd2 port. When I plugged in the new fuse there was some sparking. Do you think this fuse was pulled because it was draining the battery?

Also what should my vacuum pressure be reading at idle it was around 8.6 psi... I think I may have been reading the wrong thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.