Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a computer / obd2 that can do more than pull values and reset the cel. I need something that will allow me to test all sorts of components with this device without me taking the component out. for example, the ability to test the air pump, solenoid etc. I'm not asking for the mega expensive equipment, but just something similar to what the vag-com can do on the vw. If i'm going to own this corolla, I would like to have a similar tool.

please provide general link and approximate cost. I know snap-ons can do many types of car, but I'm hoping maybe I can save some money if there's one specific to toyota.

Thanks,
Gordon

·
Beware of pigs
Little Pig
2,446 Posts
I am sure every carmaker makes its own handheld tester for dealer use. There is an "official" (sanctioned by but not Toyota themselves) source that all the really special tools and this tester can be sourced from. I guess this will set your back at least 3 grand. :yikes:

So if the part in question is easy to get at, you might as well pull it to test.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Check out SPX's scan tools. They aren't too bad for the money. If you ever have a problem with it you can come to me because I'm one of the people that makes sure they work properly for special tests and correctly read DTCs and data items.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I dont think any aftermarket company can match Ross-Tech's vagcom. I have a vagcom and its amazing and an awesome tool to use. As far as Toyota's go, they arent like VW's and wont throw a code for everything.

I think any VW after 2000 and up can throw up to 2000 different codes..

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can SPX "test" devices like a toyota fan, solenoid etc etc?

Does a corolla car give specific codes that only a genuine toyota reader would give similar to specific VW codes that a vag-com can read?

The cool thing about the vag-com is that it allows someone to TEST their devices w/o taking it out. And it's relatively inexpensive for a good test tool.

Gordon

Check out SPX's scan tools. They aren't too bad for the money. If you ever have a problem with it you can come to me because I'm one of the people that makes sure they work properly for special tests and correctly read DTCs and data items.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I still have my jetta, trying to sell the piece of junk. 2001 VR6. There was a time I wanted to bring out a sledge hammer, record myself trashing the piece of **** in front of the dealer. I'd have fun doing it. I wish VW goes bankrupt. I think the reason why VW designed it to throw so many damned codes is that VW are Junk cars, and junk cars needs all sorts of repairs. vw are for stupid, rich people, OR it's for people who want to mod powerful cars...but the latter usually buy old cars to mod. I just don't see how vw can stay alive with their business model.

check out vwvortex.com there's a forum there. I have a moon roof that soak the floor when it rains. It's a common problem. It had nothing to do with the moonroof, but it had everythign to do with the way they designed the water nipple by the two doors. idiots.

No offense to you. I hear the Mk2 and old vw had higher quality .. i just get all rattled up at the mention of vw.

I dont think any aftermarket company can match Ross-Tech's vagcom. I have a vagcom and its amazing and an awesome tool to use. As far as Toyota's go, they arent like VW's and wont throw a code for everything.

I think any VW after 2000 and up can throw up to 2000 different codes..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Can SPX "test" devices like a toyota fan, solenoid etc etc?

Does a corolla car give specific codes that only a genuine toyota reader would give similar to specific VW codes that a vag-com can read?

The cool thing about the vag-com is that it allows someone to TEST their devices w/o taking it out. And it's relatively inexpensive for a good test tool.

Gordon

It does vehicle specific codes. They are made by reverse engineering the factory scan tools so it works like a factory scan tool for whatever vehicle you use it on. It also has a Global OBD-II option if you just need a quick data item or clear a code. I could check if there are special test options for the 8th Gen Corolla.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. and what's the ballpark figure to buy one of these? I assume the purchase of this by the price you'll quote me is for Toyota and if I wanted it to get specific vehicle codes, I'd have to pay more. I don't know the name of a machine some shops use, but boy, it's able to "actuate" many many components of various cars. Expensive though.

Gordon

It does vehicle specific codes. They are made by reverse engineering the factory scan tools so it works like a factory scan tool for whatever vehicle you use it on. It also has a Global OBD-II option if you just need a quick data item or clear a code. I could check if there are special test options for the 8th Gen Corolla.

·
Beware of pigs
Little Pig
2,446 Posts
In my 99 repair manual there are mention of some components tested by Toyota hand-held tester like driving some EVAP VSVs. The alternative is pulling it and apply battery voltage.

There are some P1xxx mfg-specific codes that I believe can be pulled by a standard OBD2 tool. Don't know if the B codes for airbags can be pulled this way but they can be pulled/cleared with a service wire, same for ABS codes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts