Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Klaatu barada nikto
'06 XR4WD Cosmic Blu
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found the DTC connector today (for the OBDII diagnostic codes, reseting the "Check" light, etc). I was all ready to stick my head underneath the driver side console and, voila!, it's just at the bottom of the dash stuck back in a little cubby hole. I looked everywhere in the repair manual for that connector's location and could find nothing definitive. If it had teeth it would have bit me. So, now I am ready to plug in my code scanner and see if my car is being good. Also, I can reset the "Check" light when it comes on for oil change time.

Something very interesting that I read in the scanner user manual is that if the engine detects a fault it becomes "pending" until the fault persists through 40 engine warm-up cycles. Only then do you get a CEL (check engine light). If I am reading the manual correctly, this is part of the OBDII standard.

I got a UIF Tech 580 scanner. They are available on eBay for $90-100. It comes with a nice carrying case and a CD which has a complete listing of the OBDII error codes.

I'm interested in other's experiences using these scanners. Tips and comments welcome ;-)

Cheers,
-- Bill

·
Registered
380 Posts
CEL light will go on when the fault is related to an emission problem only. Other faults will be stored.

Not sure what your manual means by 40 engine warm up cycles. If the fault is there the CEL will eventually go on (~30 minutes).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts