Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always wanted to buy a ScanGuage or close facsimile but never got around to it (obviously, it wasn't critical to my Taco maintenance). Now that my 2008 TRD OR V6 is 8 years old I figure it might come in handy for diagnosing future issues (haven't had anything major yet, knock on wood).

So, I started browsing all the forums on TN *and* other sites on the web for the latest and greatest in scan tools. It seems that the OBDII Bluetooth adapters used in conjunction with software such as Torque are pretty popular and significantly cheaper than a ScanGuageII.

I haven't yet decided whether to go the BT adapter and software route or go with a real ScanGuage (or equivalent). My wife is planning on a new Subaru next year so it'd be nice to be able to use whatever tool with both vehicles. I have a few questions:

In the context of our 2nd Gen Tacos:
1. What full hardware scanner (e.g., ScanGuage II) works well and is its firmware upgradable?
2. Are all BT OBDII adapters equal or is there some cheap crap out there to avoid?
3. Which Android software works well with a BT adapter with our Tacos? It doesn't have to be free software, either, but value for money (subjective, eh?).

Thanks!

bryan

·
Registered
2001 Highlander
14 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-Bluetooth-Scanner-Automotive-Diagnostic/dp/B011NSX27A?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
Haven't had a problem with the last 2 I've bought and given to family. Then had them load OBD Fusion onto their smart phone, available at Google Play. OBD Fusion allows you to log your engine data on the fly, saves it to an excel file, which can be downloaded to a drop box account. It also will clear basic codes and link the code to the internet if you need further information.

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
There are some crap BT ones out there. One of my employees has one, he complains he has to reboot it often, flakey to connect. But cheap, chinese knock off, less than $15 I think

·
Registered
Tacoma TRD 4x4 2012
24 Posts
I have used torque pro and a small obd2 cheap adapter. Very good... And lots of run time measurements. Scanner get codes where there is Chek engine light, and connected to Internet you get more info on each you get. Yet it does not give you history of past error codes; I have seen sophisticated scanners that go deeper into diagnostics and codes. In torque pro seems to be kind of basic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts