Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New here.

I have a 2001 4Runner SR5 that was manufactured in Japan (VIN starts with JT). I recently purchased a LAUNCH Creader 3001 obd2 Scanner off Amazon which allows me to detect errors codes but does not allow me to clear the error codes. I've done countless google & youtube searches but can't get find any info.

Can someone confirm that this specific scanner does or doesn't work on my 4Runner?

If this scanner is not compatible with my 4Runner, then can someone recommend a scanner that does work on a 2001 4Runner SR5 that was manufactured in Japan?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Almost any scanner is compatible with OBDII. The difference what each scanner does. If your's can't clear the codes, then either that is just not a good scanner OR the code won't be cleared without a reason. Might be better off listing the code to determine why you are getting one. Otherwise you could just disconnect your battery for a minute or two.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Vangm25, thanks for your quick response.

After using my scanner, I used my friend's zurich zr4 which is an OBD2 code reader and I was able to clear the error code (sorry can't remember the code) and my check engine light went off.

So like you said, maybe my scanner is faulty?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I looked your scanner up and it shows to be able to clear codes. It does not matter what car it is if it is OBDll it should work. You can also clear the codes by disconnecting the battery.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
chuckoff
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing