Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Camry
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just bought these OBX headers off of Ebay I saw some reports that this was bad because the headers crack from welding. I want to know if anyone has them on their car and it's working fine?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Well, since you bought one already why don't you try it out...that was your original intention wasn't it? There's probably no one here on TN that has OBX headers in their Gen4. For some reason it seems somewhat skeptical because everyone has different opinions on OBX.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i was debating on getting those myself but i wasnt sure if they removed you stock cat. do they look well built?

·
*Place Title Here*
97 Camry
76 Posts
from the pictures i just saw on ebay they dont have the tab on the where the header mates with the downpipe. the tab is used to bolt on an extra mount to the block. you can see it if you look at your stock ones. this is going to leave stress on the header and the exhuast studs eventually causing one to fail. or at least thats what i think.

what the hell is the nut(possibly a bung) on pipe #1 for?

i had a set for an mr2 on my camry. had to mod it like hell and it still didnt mate with the stock downpipe well so im back to stock. I drove aroud with the header connected to a pipe that dumped right under the engine for one night. got home and threw up from the noise. that was a fun night.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Go4shoped said:
what the hell is the nut(possibly a bung) on pipe #1 for?
i think the bung is for the o2 sensor.

Go4shoped said:
i had a set for an mr2 on my camry. had to mod it like hell and it still didnt mate with the stock downpipe well so im back to stock. I drove aroud with the header connected to a pipe that dumped right under the engine for one night. got home and threw up from the noise. that was a fun night.
Dude that sucks!

·
*Place Title Here*
97 Camry
76 Posts
Athlon_64 said:
i think the bung is for the o2 sensor.
shouldnt it be a little further down the piping? that must really suck for exhaust flow to have a sensor blocking it so close to the exhaust valve.

either way, they dont look very well designed.

·
Registered
442 Posts
either way, they dont look very well designed.
For their price, the quality isnt that bad. I used to be pretty involved in the honda community not just online but in car clubs here in Phoenix, AZ. From first hand experience they arent the garbage people make them out to be. Granted they arent an SMSP or RMF custom fabbed header but their prints for exhaust systems and headers are based off companys's such as DC and Skunk2. An example of garbage would be SSautochrome. For 160 bucks, an OBX header isnt that bad of an investment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
headers 93 camry

is there any reason the headers advertized for a 97 camry 4cd 2.2 engine will not fit a 93 camry 4cd 2.2 engine

·
Registered
442 Posts
Im pretty sure they would bolt up... its just a matter of clearance. Im not too familiar with the differences ebtween gen 4 and gen 3 camrys. AND when you have a SOHC engine, its not HEADERS!!! The s on the end makes it plural and makes you sound like a ricer haha, 4 cylanders have one exhaust outlet so its just a HEADER

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
JBA OBX, SSA, XS Power. All Chinese & All have reputations for cracking over a relatively short amount of time.

They're real cheap header makers, so aslong as you torque them down & you get 2 years out of them. No complaints.

Fuck The OBX & JBA headers for my Civic sell for $40. You kidding me?

·
Registered
Toyota Camry
1,820 Posts
WestCoastff said:
Im pretty sure they would bolt up... its just a matter of clearance. Im not too familiar with the differences ebtween gen 4 and gen 3 camrys. AND when you have a SOHC engine, its not HEADERS!!! The s on the end makes it plural and makes you sound like a ricer haha, 4 cylanders have one exhaust outlet so its just a HEADER
It's "cylinders", ricer. J/k buddy. Also, the engine doesn't have to be SOHC to have one header, it could be DOHC too. Cams don't affect if there are one of two headers, it's the configuration of the engine and cylinders. I.E. V6 = headers, DOHC I4 = header, SOHC I4 = header

1 - 12 of 12 Posts