Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, don't spend much time around here because I rarely drive the Venza, it's my wife's daily driver. Anyway, our Venza (2009 V6) has failed to start 3 times over the last 2 weeks. Basically, foot on the brake, push the button, engine cranks, but fails to start. This is my first experience with a car that has the push button ignition so I'm not sure if this is normal or something I should have the dealer check out? Thanks.

·
Registered
576 Posts
My Venza is my 4th car with Smart Start. Only one of them (2007 Camry) ever failed to start on the first try and that was when it was 20 below zero. It started on the 2nd attempt. I'd have the dealer check it out. There is probably a diagnostic he can pull and make an adjustment etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, don't spend much time around here because I rarely drive the Venza, it's my wife's daily driver. Anyway, our Venza (2009 V6) has failed to start 3 times over the last 2 weeks. Basically, foot on the brake, push the button, engine cranks, but fails to start. This is my first experience with a car that has the push button ignition so I'm not sure if this is normal or something I should have the dealer check out? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Had the same problem with my 2009 Venza a year ago, went round and round with the dealer, but he could not duplicate the problem...Until it happened in my driveway. So I called the service manager who brought a technician over. He determined it was a faulty starter relay which they replaced and no more problem ...UNTIL Last week, then SAME PROBLEM! I rapped the fender where the relay box is and voila! it worked.

This time Toyota won't replace the $85 relay, because they can't duplicate the problem and "never heard of it before". I have since heard of one other party with the same problem.

After 5 tries in the shop, We're ready to think about Lemon Law proceedings. We really like the car but rapping the fender to start it is getting a little bit embarrassing!

6/2/11
UPDATE:
Finally, resolution. The service manager found a factory tech who pointed out that failure of the steering column to unlock will give the same symptom. After a couple of dope slaps for not reading the fine print on the dash panel, we simply wiggle the wheel and everything gets nice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts