Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fixing a friend's 95 camry that had been sitting for a while. He bought it a long time ago and doesn't know much about it as he never really drove it after buying it because he ended up getting a newer car.

Put a battery in the car and drove it off. Ran fine zero issues. It started to smoke, and I noticed it was dripping oil onto exhaust. Upon closer inspection, there was no hose connected to the PCV valve, and I thought that is where the oil leak was coming from.

The hoses were hooked up weird. No hose connected to PCV valve and instead the brake booster was connected to where the PCV hose connects to on the intake. The place where the brake booster hose connected on the intake was blocked off.

So I hooked up the brake booster to the correct location and hooked up the PCV valve to the correct location. Now the car idles rough (hovers 400-500 rpm) and the brakes don't have much power. So I hooked everything back up as it was and now it still won't idle right. When I disconnect the block off and CREATE a vacuum leak then the idle smooths out.
I'm hoping you guys can help shed some light on the problem.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,679 Posts
I'm wondering if it might be the IAC. You may be interpreting rough idle for just low idle. Adding a vacuum leak is like opening the IAC and the MAP reads the extra air to adjust fuel trim. I'd also check the vac hose diagram on the underside of the hood for the correct vac hose hook up.

Clean the IAC and see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's not a rough idle, it's just idling super low and that makes the car shake. I will try cleaning the IACV. I wonder why it started acting up all of a sudden after I messed with the hoses. Previously it had no issues with idling.

·
Camreee
'99 Auto V6
342 Posts
If it was just a low idle I would think you'd still have fully boosted brakes after driving normally, at least for a stop or two; so I'd start checking hoses for vacuum leaks. I'd also check the engine grounds and accelerator cables while you're at it, you might have jarred them loose when working on it - both an intermittent ground and a loose accelerator cable can cause idle to rise/fall/stumbling/ecu catches it/repeat.

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
968 Posts
You may also want to pull the spark plugs and inspect, given the incorrect vacuum hookup: fouled or worn (wide-gapped) plugs can (will) also cause a rough / or low idle.

But +1 w/ Stillrunning & Camreeeee, do the IAC & vacuum hose checks, hookup a vacuum gauge to diagnose first.

It sounds like there may be a restriction at the brake booster port on the throttle body, and / or internal to the booster vacuum hose, running up to the brake booster.

Tip: disconnect the booster hose at both ends, and take a length of plastic string trimmer line or similar flexible material (like 14gauge automotive wire) and run through / probe the brake booster port, and booster vacuum hose ... to see if there's any restriction present. (A plastic zip tie also works well for the booster port on the intake/throttle body.)

(If you find any oil / tar / goo @ the brake booster end of the vacuum hose connecting to the brake booster assembly, that may also be a concern: given that the hose was hooked up to the PCV port on the motor.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts