Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Toyota Camry V6 XLE
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

After a 210 km trip this morning, on the way home, 2 numbers odometer (analog) miss-aligned and "dropped down" and stay between 2 numbers, You can look at the picture at the bottom of what I mean.

1996 Corolla DX i Have.

How to fix? ... The number still works and spins as usual, but dropped and stuck in that position.

If it's a big hassle then I'll just leave it as this car is my shopping and "beater" car for shopping or I don't car type situation.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
Typically when that happens it's a sign that the odometer has been wound back :lol:. But in this case, since it just started happening randomly, I'd suspect something is broken or misaligned inside the cluster. I'd take the cluster out and make sure that none of the teeth for the odometer are broken. If they are then you can simply replace the part (make sure you get the right one by counting the amount of teeth on your current one) or you can replace it with another cluster from a junkyard. If you do decide to replace the whole cluster, look for one that has a tachometer and preferably lower mileage than your car. This way you'll not only be able to wind your mileage forward safely and legally, but you'll also have a nice new tacho so you can monitor your engine revs :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Typically when that happens it's a sign that the odometer has been wound back :lol:. But in this case, since it just started happening randomly, I'd suspect something is broken or misaligned inside the cluster. I'd take the cluster out and make sure that none of the teeth for the odometer are broken. If they are then you can simply replace the part (make sure you get the right one by counting the amount of teeth on your current one) or you can replace it with another cluster from a junkyard. If you do decide to replace the whole cluster, look for one that has a tachometer and preferably lower mileage than your car. This way you'll not only be able to wind your mileage forward safely and legally, but you'll also have a nice new tacho so you can monitor your engine revs :)
i have a question
will the cluster with tachometer work in this car i mean if he purchase a one with rpm he will not have to change any thing in the cluster wiring and if so
what will give the rev counter the signal to count engine revs i don't think its the speedometer sensor

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
i have a question
will the cluster with tachometer work in this car i mean if he purchase a one with rpm he will not have to change any thing in the cluster wiring and if so
what will give the rev counter the signal to count engine revs i don't think its the speedometer sensor
I haven't done it personally as my Corolla came from factory with a tachometer, but many other people have and apparently it's completely plug-and-play. It uses the exact same plugs and should work as soon as you plug it in, with no extra wiring necessary.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Technically, you can't wind these back, but you should be able to use a small jeweler's flat head screw driver to pop the numbers out of the groove (to the right) and realign them, then drive it for a bit and see what happens. You won't need to take it out to do this so try it before removing the cluster. Only move them forward, going backwards will break the gears. It's probably broken though...

·
Registered
1993 Corolla
53 Posts
Kiwi is correct, it's plug and play. There are three connectors on the back. The no tach version has one on each side and one in the middle. The version with the tach is similar but the center connector is more to one side. But it connects no problem. These are photos of the USDM versions of the clusters.

The difference between the two clusters is the center connections. On the cluster with no tach, pins 8 and 9 go no where on the board. The version with the tach pin 9 goes to the tach. Not sure where it gets its information from, but it works.

The only difference I have noticed so far is that the gas gauge is reading higher on the tach version after I replaced it. That could be because the gauge is smaller in size and displays slightly different. I haven't gotten to empty yet since changing the cluster. But I don't think it will be a problem. Maybe somebody that has been threw a few tanks will have an opinion about that.

The tach version costs a few dollars more than the no tach version, at least where I live it did. There is a
no tach KM version on eBay right now at a good price.

·
Registered
145 Posts
many thanks to the detailed and professional information it will be complete if any one could tell us where the gauge gets its reading from because my car is not us spec

1 - 7 of 7 Posts