Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a Corollaaaaaaaa

That's fine, but it's a little too easy on a digital odometer that doesn't have a leading 0 (100,000's digit). With all 6 digits on the mechanical odometer you only get 1000 palindromes over 1 million miles, an average of 1 per 1000 miles. On your digital odometer you'll have 900 between 10000 and 99999, an average of 1 per hundred miles.

Do any new cars still have mechanical odometers? Or what were the last cars to have them?

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I've never photographed the palindromes either, just the 50,000 and 100,000 milestones. @speedy25 posted some a while ago, possibly in my old '93's mileage thread.

Do any new cars still have mechanical odometers? Or what were the last cars to have them?
Probably trucks. They seem to be where the old technology goes to die, until the new stuff is sufficiently proven for commercial or heavy duty use. I too wonder what was the last vehicle to have the mechanical odo.

Nah, digital odometers are frankly better in every way. But hey if I had over 100k miles I'd post that!
Like everything new, including old stuff when it was new, they do have their ways in which they suck:

Like when you're at the junkyard looking for mechanical parts which wear due to mileage. No realistic shot of seeing the mileage unless the keys happen to be there - and you have some sort of means of 12V with enough amps to power it all up.

Anytime there's no opportunity to power up the vehicle, whether due to no power or no keys, you cannot determine the mileage of the vehicle. I've always wished that they would have a button which you could push, even without the key, and have the display show you the mileage.

·
Token Aussie
1,722 Posts
Like when you're at the junkyard looking for mechanical parts which wear due to mileage. No realistic shot of seeing the mileage unless the keys happen to be there - and you have some sort of means of 12V with enough amps to power it all up.
Any reasonable wrecker should write the mileage on the cluster or windscreen etc with a paint pen or dry-erase marker etc.

Whether you can trust that number is a different story...

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Any reasonable wrecker should write the mileage on the cluster or windscreen etc with a paint pen or dry-erase marker etc.

Whether you can trust that number is a different story...
Maybe I'll have to check the data stickers the yard puts on the cars more closely, but I've never seen the mileage written anywhere on a junkyard car. Probably a more literate population where you are...

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Nah trucks are getting wildly new tech. Some new trucks have buttons instead of shifters, like individual buttons for PRNDL. All those goodies. Cars have had digital odometers since the late 90s.

Yeah junkyard IS the one place they suck.
I meant that some trucks probably still had mechanical odos for a few years after the last car did. A lot of times, manufacturers will stop using an engine in their cars, but will continue to put it in trucks for a few more years. All kinds of vehicle parts take their bow, and make their final appearances in the truck line.

I'm also wondering what was the first car to have an electronic odometer.

·
Token Aussie
1,722 Posts
I'm also wondering what was the first car to have an electronic odometer.
Don't know what but as for when it would have been in the early 80s (if not the late 70s) when digital dashes started becoming all the rage (although a lot of them still kept a mechanical odometer).

EDIT: Denso filed this patent in 1983/84
https://patents.google.com/patent/US4682287

·
Token Aussie
1,722 Posts
AE86 Corolla had a digital dash and digital odometer I believe. AE101 with the digital dash had an analog odometer though.
Nah the AE86 digi-dash was still a mechanical odometer, seen a few of them in my time (as well as the AE82 and MA61 ones, they're all fairly similar)

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I actually had an '88 Cutlass Supreme, the FWD one, with an electronically displayed digital speedo and odometer which you could switch between miles and kilometers. Luckily got rid of it before the display started malfunctioning...

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't scoff at digital odometers. I only scoff at how easy it is to get palindromes with only 5 digits displayed (when less than 100k miles). Every 100 miles is easy. With 6 digits it's a rare event about every 1000 miles.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
7 Participants
Haloruler64
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing