Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
06 Corolla-S
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea who makes them...any reason why I shouldn't use my usual brand > Purolator?
2006 Corolla-S

·
Registered
06 Corolla-S
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the link;)
As I recall, when I did my 1'st oil change I compared the base plate of the OE Toyota filter I took off and the new Purolator Premium Plus #L14476 I was about to install...and they were infact different! I recall for sure the OE had a round O-ring vs the square O-ring on the Purolator. Also the base plate configuration was different also. (holes and spacing)
This is what led me to blive it was not made by Purolator.

Maybe a different design for the 06 year??? Don't know, but either way I'm sure the Purolator filter is fine for my needs.
Thanks again:cool:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Cheap filters have a sloppy bypass valve, when the engine is cold and needing clean oil the most, the filter is not filtering!! Get a WIX or NAPA GOLD (same filter), cheap insurance...

·
'96 Rolla DX
1996 Corolla DX
531 Posts
yeah but dont use Fram, I heard that they are mad of cardboard or something. Basically you pay for the grip, not the protection.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
I like the filter element design of the toyota one, plus that its OEM equipment.
However, the toyota filter doesnt have a drainback valve, so the filter will by empty if you let the car sit, no big deal imho.

·
Registered
06 Corolla-S
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flashmn said:
I like the filter element design of the toyota one, plus that its OEM equipment.
However, the toyota filter doesnt have a drainback valve, so the filter will by empty if you let the car sit, no big deal imho.
News falsh on my OE Corolla filter I took off at 500 miles...and saved.
Get this...the center threaded hole is (off center) in the base plate, really.
I'll stick with my usual brand > Purolator ;)

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Another newsflash, they make millions of those filters, so few passing through quality control with the hole off center isnt surprising, now chances of getting one isng gonna be that great, you just happened to get it.

·
Registered
06 Corolla-S
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Flashmn said:
Another newsflash, they make millions of those filters, so few passing through quality control with the hole off center isnt surprising, now chances of getting one isng gonna be that great, you just happened to get it.
Yea, and not to mention it was on my new 06...maybe I should play the lottery.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
25 Posts
how topical, I'm just about to do my first oil change myself and was debating/researching which filter to by for my 97 corolla. most of what I've read is just don't get a fram.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
25 Posts
Flashmn said:
Say man, I thought all filters have the drianback valve nowadays.

Is that the same thing as "anti-drainback valve?

·
1 4/\/\ +3|-| |\|00|3
273 Posts
Heh last time I just took it to toyota cause it was like 20 bucks so it was easier than having to deal with oil(california eco nazis....)

·
Registered
161 Posts
chewbaccamonkey said:
how topical, I'm just about to do my first oil change myself and was debating/researching which filter to by for my 97 corolla. most of what I've read is just don't get a fram.
See, this is how rumours spread. You're not buying Fram because someone said; "yeah but dont use Fram, I heard that they are mad of cardboard or something". That makes sense.
Someone once told me Toyota's are crap, so we should all sell our cars. Buy a Chevy, cuz I heard they're good.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
25 Posts
damn Guido, didn't mean to get you bent out of shape. I'm new here and I'm no oil filter expert either, its just what I've read. I wasn't stating a fact. If you dig Fram filters its all good! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2005 Corolla LE
155 Posts
I've cut open a Fram filter once and let me tell ya, it wasn't a pretty site. I'm not saving $0.30 on the crucial oil system component to a several thousand dollar engine. For once, I would actually tend to believe something on the internet when it's about Fram filters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The end caps of the Frams are made of cardboard. I used these for years w/o a problem; however since learning of their manufacturing process I go with Wix or Purolator. Other manufacturers use METAL for the endcaps which for me sounds better.

·
Registered
161 Posts
H2GURU said:
The end caps of the Frams are made of cardboard. I used these for years w/o a problem; however since learning of their manufacturing process I go with Wix or Purolator. Other manufacturers use METAL for the endcaps which for me sounds better.
Just curious why you would place more importance on your "hunch" that metal is better, than your REAL experience of years without a problem?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts