Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 455 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone with a 2012 SE V6 with the backup camera take a picture of the wire harness in the trunk. Did some poking around the other day and there are 2 connectors taped down to the harness in the trunk. Rumor is the SE might be prewired for the backup camera option. If someone has one maybe we can figure it out, would like to add this option if possible. I am sure the dealer can do for a large sum of money but if it is just a matter of buying a camera and plugging it in like the Gentex mirror that would be great

·
Registered
35 Posts
How many total wires are there? There needs to be at least 3. Video, 12V+, and 12V-. The two 12V wires are most likely redundant with the reverse light circuit, and you should be able to use a voltmeter to confirm their functionality.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it's just a matter of getting in the trunk and removing the tape from the harness so I can see what is there. Keeping my fingers crossed

·
Registered
31 Posts
What type of backup camera are you going to use ? From where did you buy? How much did it cost you ?

Please post your experience/pictures/videos.
I want to get a backup camera but I am not sure about installation.

Also, will installation of backup camera, create problems in factory warranty and extended warranty of the car ?

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have yet to buy one. Still trying to find out how hard it will be to install. If the SE is prewired then I will go for it, if not I might not put one in

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've created a list of things I must do/done...

1. Tints - Completed
2. Black Out Emblems
3. Install Backup Camera
4. Install Sound System

I wonder what else I should do to this car... :smokin:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a '12 SE I4 with the normal Display Audio (no Entune, no nav). I removed the trunk liner from the door and saw a disconnected set of wires near where the backup camera would be.

Here's where it gets weird. There's no plastic connectors at the end of the wires. It's 5 wires that are all spliced together at the end, capped off, and then taped down. And, all 5 wires are white with a black stripe. 4 are a thin gauge while the 5th is thicker. I'd suspect the thickest one is used to carry the video signal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
2012 SE Backup Camera Wires

https://plus.google.com/photos/106709819550685527810/albums/5695380864720711473

If the above link works... here are some pics of the wires for the OEM backup camera on the 2012 SE V6.

It has a brown, white, black and red wire for a total of 4 wires.

The connection to the right is one of the license plate lights... the other picture shows the connection to the truck release for the smartkey system.

If the link doesnt work, I will try a different post...

I am not taring the radio out to look at the back of it.... so cant help with that one...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the pics. Looking in from the rear off to the left is the harness coming into trunk. Can you take a shot of that. I have at least 2 wires taped off with connectors on them. Thinking it might be the connector for a harness to plug into

·
Registered
23 Posts
https://plus.google.com/photos/106709819550685527810/albums/5695426801979453361

Heres another pic... it shows a small flat connector, that is not connected. Otherwise everything is covered in tape and wound tightly all the way down the trunk hinge and into the side panel heading toward the front of the vehicle.

Not sure if this helps, but that is about all I can do without alot of unwinding of tape and I am not willing to tackle that on a new car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
so, has anyone figured this out yet? I have a SE V6 on the way. I opted for the basic SE V6 config and I prefer that over the leather and moonroof.

I just ordered the homelink mirror and now I just need to add a back up camera.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Back up Camera

I just bought 2012 Camry SE I4 with no navigation. I'm interested to add a back up camera. I verified the connector (with 3 red wires) taped up in the trunk. These are wires that supply 12 volts to the two back up lamps. Therefore, I don't think this model is prewired for a back up camera.

I'm still intrigue about the audio display because there is an option to turn on the capture image under the general set up setting. I pulled out the audio console and found that there is an open connector that I have no idea what is that for. I will post the picture next time.

If anybody has a mechanic friend at the toyota dealership, please ask him/her for the electrical plan for the audio console. I'm still hoping that we can just connect a camera to the audio console.

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is a follow up on my previous post.

I just found out that the capture image (on/off) in the audio system is an option to enable or disable the album art from showing when listening to an iPod, iPhone or mp3 players.

I guess, we might be out of luck for adding a back up camera using the audio display.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Should be a connector black/white/red and your brown ground wire at the trunk... 2 junctions after the head unit. 1 junction is TN2 located in the trunk... the second is NI1 located in the center console near the shifter assembly

EDIT: if i get a chance this week i'll look over the harness and check to see if i have power to the trunk when in reverse.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have heard Toyota is notorious for building cars to match specifications and they do not have a cookie cutter, one size fits all in regards to having the wiring/etc for multiple options "just in case" an upgrade is wanted.

I recall my old Pontiac had all the wires in the base model as the high end one and I was able to buy all the features I wanted aftermarket and add them as the harnesses were there and I just had to plug it up.

I suppose if you think about it, toyota probably saves a lot of money by not giving away a bunch of wiring that will never be used by the end consumer...

·
Registered
167 Posts
ok wow... for anyone trying this props to you but i just checked the price on the unit and you would be lucky to get it for about 600-700 bucks. lol, aftermarket it is. :headbang:

1 - 20 of 455 Posts
About this Discussion
454 Replies
94 Participants
sethr
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing