Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 455 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have heard Toyota is notorious for building cars to match specifications and they do not have a cookie cutter, one size fits all in regards to having the wiring/etc for multiple options "just in case" an upgrade is wanted.

I recall my old Pontiac had all the wires in the base model as the high end one and I was able to buy all the features I wanted aftermarket and add them as the harnesses were there and I just had to plug it up.

I suppose if you think about it, toyota probably saves a lot of money by not giving away a bunch of wiring that will never be used by the end consumer...
Not true. On the latest gen Tacoma's, even the base models have the same prewiring for fog lights as the higher trims. For instance, the base models have the fog light wiring w/pig tails plugs taped to the bumper. So just plug play-once you get the relay. I also believe the reverse camera wires are there on the base Tacoma's too (2011+).
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same thing for the Camry. Wonder if the LE has the same pre-wires. I' ll look whenever I get my hands on the Camry again.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I had a 09 Rav4 base that the wife just traded in for a 2012 LE and I read on the forums about people with the 2006-2008 rav's being rewired for the steering wheel audio controls and for the fog lights just needed to plug them in and add a relay for the fogs into the factory fuse block slot and splice one wire. Awesome I thought as I ordered the fog light kit and the steering wheel button. Installation of the fog lights started out well as I dropped the bumper and there were the connectors quick snap put the bumper back on then I went to the fuse block and I didn't have the relay slot or the wire that I needed to splice too. Then I took apart the steering wheel snapped in the audio controls but no luck. I ended up taking it to a friend that does auto electric and turns out that for 09 (base) they went with a skinnier harness (forget the name the one that goes from the steering wheel to the fuse blocks) and they also went with a skinner relay board. So yeah Toyota seems to have started using wiring as needed. But with the Camera if anybody can confirm that the radio has a camera input on the back its easy as 123 all you need to run is a video cable and then splice off of the reverse light bulb for power to the camera and then theres one wire by the radio that you splice off of the fuse block so that the radio recognizes to switch the display to camera input.

Not true. On the latest gen Tacoma's, even the base models have the same prewiring for fog lights as the higher trims. For instance, the base models have the fog light wiring w/pig tails plugs taped to the bumper. So just plug play-once you get the relay. I also believe the reverse camera wires are there on the base Tacoma's too (2011+).
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same thing for the Camry. Wonder if the LE has the same pre-wires. I' ll look whenever I get my hands on the Camry again.

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Corolla Veteran!
66 Posts
I am yet another Toyota fan on this forum...I have a 2012 Camry SE (4-cyl) however I was too stingy to pay for the Convenience or Navi packages to gain the backup rearview camera, SmartKey, and other nice stuff.

I have searched high and low on google but haven't (yet) found a way to install an aftermarket camera in this Camry. I have no prior experience installing ANY aftermarket electronics, because in the past, I simply never needed to.

But now that I've upgraded from a '98 Corolla to this 2012 model, this is a big leap forward in performance and technology for me. I found this really NICE low-profile camera
http://visiontechamerica.com/site/portfolio/vtl275hd-vtl375hd/

Only problem is...how the HECK am I supposed to install it so that it shows up in my touchscreen console?!

I see the pictures someone posted in their SE (6-cyl) that shows the factory OEM wiring for his vehicle that was purchased with the Camera and SmartKey...I am hoping a Toyota tech or a smarter person than me can offer insight on how to get this project done.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Rear Camera

I am like you-- I have a LE, and standard radio-- I also want a back-up camera. I checked several sources and they all tell me that the camera cannot be connected to the standard display. Only through a Nav screen.

They all suggest a display mirror with a camera. Toyota does sell this, but abt. $600. There are several listed through eBay/Amazon at a cheaper price.

I thought about a aftermarket, but do not want a Mickey Mouse display hanging on the dash. They do have some that are wireless--which cuts down on the installation. I have one of those in my Chevy truck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I found this picture on Ebay a few weeks ago. Supposedly this is unit is for an Entune system. Since I have not seen which ports are used on the back when the unit is installed, I am not sure if any are unused. If we can determine which ports aren't being used on a non-camera car vs a camera car, maybe we can identify which port is for the backup camera. Can someone help with this?

Another thing we may need to figure out is how to have the display switch to and from the video feed when in reverse.

·
Registered
30 Posts
To fellow TN Users:

My persistence and hard work eventually paid off. I was successfully installed a back up camera using the original 6" audio display from my 2012 Camry SE model (No navigation).
I bought a special camera similar to the link that SLOMAR posted. The 6" audio display is prewired but the connector is terminated under the center console besides the shifter assembly as TOYOFORMAN describe.

You will need to tap to this connector and run your camera wire to the trunk. You will have an option to buy the female connector housing (approximate $9.00) and connector pins (approximate $6.00 each & you will need 4 pins) from Toyota.

In summary, It can be done to 2012 Camry that has 6" audio display. This is good news to everyone who wants a backup camera.

Goodluck and thanks to all of your input and advice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That is awesome! Do you have any additional information (i.e. part numbers) for the parts needing to be bought from Toyota? Also, is the connector under the center console easily identifyable?

·
2012 I4 SE Attitude Black
50 Posts
Hansen, congrats on your work. Sounds like you're happy with the results. :chug: Would you mind sharing your knowledge with the community by posting a how-to on this? I know I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's the part number

1. Female connector casing (#90980-12368)
2. Female connector terminal pin (#82998-24290)

Keep in mind that these connector will only allow you to make a quick connect (eliminating splicing and soldering) under the center console. You will still need to connect wires and run them to the trunk.

I will try to write a simple how to later.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What is the differences between the navi and no-navi system? I have the Navi and would installation be the same. Will this install void my warranty? because I purchased the extended warranty also.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the good news! My wife, who can't parallel park very well, is going to love it. I'm really looking forward to the write up.

Just curious, does the image have the parking guide lines or just image only?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Kipliq,

I think the Navi audio system display size is bigger and you have more extra buttons & features. However, the wiring for the backup camera is thesame. Your system probably might be simpler since there is a possibility that the wire harness might be available right into the trunk.

For the warranty, I will recommend to check your manual for the warranty information or check your dealer. Like everybody knows, Toyota will prefer to do all the maintenance and sell all the accessories directly to customer.

If you have the right wire harness and connectors, this is like a plug and play system. Were not modifying anything in the system.

12camryse,

The parking guidelines is imbedded with the camera and not with the display. When you buy the camera, you need to make sure that it comes with the guidelines.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Installation backup camera 2012 toyota Camry SE

HI, I'm looking to install a backup camera on my 2012 Toyota Camry as well. now I wonder that you don't have to pull out the radio unit to connect the camera???? will you please make a video on youtube on HOW TO thank you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Notes:

1. Please see the pictures link. http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7218285554/in/photostream/
2. Use this steps as a guide only since it might varies due to Camry's different model.
3. Always work safely and turn off power when working with electrical wiring.

I. Check the presence of a backup camera wire harness connector
1. How to remove Center Console Cover (CCC).
  • Remove the front panel garnish (this is the left & right side padding that is close to your knee). Grab and pull it out by hand carefully.
  • Move the shift lever to neutral and then remove the shift lever knob.
  • Grab the rear side of the CCC and pull it up carefully.
  • Grab the front side of the CCC and pull it up carefully.
  • Remove any connectors connected under the CCC before completely pulling it out.
2. Locate backup camera wire harness connector.
  • Look under the upper console panel sub-assembly (this is the console box were the power outlet is located).
  • See if you can find the 10 pin male connector with four wires (black, white, red and brown or orange). See the link for the picture
  • If you found it, was there a wire harness connected to it?
  • If no, then you can order one female mate connector (part #90980-12368) and four female terminal pins (part #82998-24290) from Toyota dealer.
  • If yes, then the wire harness is terminated further at the back near the trunk.
  • Then you can order one female mate connector (part #90980-12368) and four female terminal pins (part #82998-24290) from Toyota dealer.
3. Backup camera connection.
  • If you decided to order the connector parts, then you need to connect the four wiring pin into the camera wiring. (black to camera power line; white to camera video out +; red to camera video out - and brown or orange to camera ground line)
  • Test first the camera if its working before running the rest of the wire & camera into the trunk.
  • You can run the camera wire anywhere you wish. Mine, I run it under the center console, under the rear passenger floor carpet, under the back seat and up to the trunk. I think this is the shortest route.
4. Re-install CCC
  • Insert wire connector under the CCC.
  • Bring down CCC into place and make sure all lock pins are properly in place.
  • Press down the rear side of the CCC first.
  • Press down the front side of the CCC
  • Screw the shift lever knob
  • Insert back the two front panel garnish
I hope I can help with this step by step instruction.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hansen, Thank you so much for you time writing all the instructions. Now I'm going to buy me a backup camera and tried to install it my self, but about the connection harness thing quit little confuse lol if you have a chacne will you please take a picture or do a video on youtube??? Im sure every body that watch your video would be very appreciated. once again thank you so much Hansen.

21 - 40 of 455 Posts
About this Discussion
454 Replies
94 Participants
sethr
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing