Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 100 of 455 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Amazon harness is made for the SE and other vehicles where the back up harness is connected to the radio, and is terminated under the console. You plug the [Amazon] harness to the connector under the console, and then the Camera cable will connect to this. Very little wiring to do.

The LE like mine, does NOT have the harness under the console. I had to fab up a harness. The vehicles with NAV and no camera, may have the console harness.

The camera is activated from the body computer [when you connect the wiring]. You do not need to attach any wiring to the back up lamps or harness. [see my previous posts]
I have a Lexus oem camera in which 4 wires terminate into 4 pins inside a grey plug as shown in these photos: https://plus.google.com/photos/107427309110071106739/albums/5748791403027681857?authkey=CL3ckpC-rqjIAQ

My plan was to connect the Amazon harness to the connector under the center console. The Amazon harness terminates into an RCA video female connector (or that's what it looks like): http://www.beatsonicusa.com/stereo/beat-sonic-bc5-rear-camera-input-vision-selector-harness.html

So my plan was to splice the yellow wire inside the grey plug and an RCA video male, then run it to the front where the Amazon harness is.

My plan doesn't sound right because the camera isn't being triggered on. I feel like it is just carrying the video signal to the front, which isn't possible without power. At the same time, I don't have the harness on hand so I'm not exactly sure what it terminates to (harness ships from Japan).

Thanks for any input! Also, I'm a beginner with electrical wiring so that's probably why I'm a little confused.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you have the plug under the console--and then use the harness on order. I cannot tell from the picture, but there should be 4 wires in the harness connector-- one to ground [with the eye] one to the center of the RCA cable [that is the video] one to the shield wrap of the RCA cable [cable ground]-- and one to power the camera.

If you buy a long RCA cable, tape a single wire to it and route it to the rear trunk area-- you will only need to splice in the trunk area.

The rear camera should have 4 wires- video, shield [ground here also], camera ground and a power wire.

The Body computer turns on power through the radio, when trans is in reverse, through the under console harness through the added wire, and to the camera. You do not need to add a power wire from the back-up lights-- in fact if you do, you may smoke some electronics.

·
Registered
132 Posts
ok i just got my harness amazon and
i have an 2012 i4 se no nav
and the camera i got is the sony xa-r800c
now dose all se have the plug under the console and where do you ground the amazon harness to
if you say it is the way it is i just have to plug in the harness and then ground it
and then tap in to the reveres lights for the power for the camera
selvinraj25 please help

·
Registered
149 Posts
ok i just got my harness amazon and
i have an 2012 i4 se no nav
and the camera i got is the sony xa-r800c
now dose all se have the plug under the console and where do you ground the amazon harness to
if you say it is the way it is i just have to plug in the harness and then ground it
and then tap in to the reveres lights for the power for the camera
selvinraj25 please help
As far as I know-- all SE vehicles will have the plug under the console. Takes one minute to check. Put the parking brake on, and shift the trans to drive. Unscrew the shift knob, at the front of the console there are two "Wings" used as covering for the dash-- grab one and pull straight back. Does not take a lot of force as it only has a couple plastic clips. Pull the other. Now the console cover will come up-- just use your fongers on each side and pull straight up.

The console connector will have 4 terminals-- just as I described in the above posts. Video, ground, and shield wrap-- AND ONE THAT PUTS POWER TO THE REAR CAMERA. Did you read my previous posts-?? The body computer puts power to the 4th wire, when the trans is placed in reverse- [all by it-self-- kinda like magic] You DO NOT need to attach to the back-up lights, but you need to continue the power from the under console to the rear to the camera. You can ground the shield and camera at the rear and aldo under the console. AS I POSTED MANY TIMES IN THIS THREAD.

I do not know the wiring diagram for the camera you have-- but ALL cameras work the same way-- Video, Shield ground, Camera ground and power. Even the cheap China cameras-- mine total job cost $30, and works just fine.

Please read the prevous posts -before you ask more questions.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ok I found the plug in the center console and I plug the amazon harness in to it on grounded the eye
But one of the pins get push to the side
And
Hook up my Sony camera
My Sony camera come with a box that you plug the video wire , the camera wire and it
Has two wire one power wire and one ground wire so hook up the power and the ground wire to the
Trunk and plug the video in the front and nothing no backup picture what I'm I doing wrong
Help any one

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok I found the plug in the center console and I plug the amazon harness in to it on grounded the eye
But one of the pins get push to the side
And
Hook up my Sony camera
My Sony camera come with a box that you plug the video wire , the camera wire and it
Has two wire one power wire and one ground wire so hook up the power and the ground wire to the
Trunk and plug the video in the front and nothing no backup picture what I'm I doing wrong
Help any one
You should be getting the power of your Sony Camera from the wire harness located under the console. It will not work if you tried to get power anyplace in the trunk. The whole idea of getting the harness is to transfer all those wire under the console and bring them into the trunk for the camera.

Look on my previous post the instruction to make it work.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is for the people that purchased the amazon harness. It comes with only 3 wires... ground and the 2 for the rca video connection. Anyone know where I can get a 4th pin? No power wire to turn the camera on. I went to Toyota they want $19.40 for the terminal the will go into the 4th slot to give power.

·
Registered
215 Posts
This is a question for selvinraj. You said you bought the amazon harness, connected your oem camera and it works. Correct? Did you have to run a wire to power on the camera or did the amazon harness automatically power the camera on when the car was shifted in reverse? I read the entire 6 pages of posts and came to that conclusion until at the very end kipliq muddied the waters a bit by saying there was no wire to power on the camera. Which is correct?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Some members posted that they had purchased the oem lexus/camry camera which has a grey plug. Obviously that grey plug connects to a harness the leads to the head unit. Does anyone know the part number for this harness? It seems that grey plug would fit directly into the unused connector beneath the SE console....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes, you need the 4th wire connected to the radio, and not just to the BU wires. In my opinion, ---when the trans is shifted in "R", the radio senses the camera resistance, and that changes the radio display, from Audio, to camera display. I don't think a video wire input, from just the camera, would trigger the change in display.

Anyone try connecting the camera to the BU wires in the trunk- with just the video cable connected to the console plug-? Just to see if it would change the display.

It does appear the Amazon harness has ONLY the ground wire, and the video and shield wire- and is missing the 4th wire to trigger the camera to "ON".

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just used google translate (japanese) to read the instructions for the amazon harness. (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.beatsonic.co.jp/accessories/bc5.php&ei=W-POT56fH6i42wWdw7SsDA&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=5&sqi=2&ved=0CF0Q7gEwBA&prev=/search?q=Beat-Sonic+BC5&hl=en&rlz=1C1CHIH_enUS398US398&bi). It does state that the actual back up camera needs to be powered on by a separate, not included, wire. My interpretation of that is that the harness, when plugged into the connector, and reverse is selected, "alerts" the display unit of the presence of a back camera, causing the display to switch to video mode, but the back up camera must be powered on by a separate wire, presumably the reverse light positive wire. In retrospect, that makes sense as i had a back up camera in my previous car that was connected to a jvc head unit which had a dedicated wire that said "back up camera", along with the yellow rca video input. That camera was wired to the reverse light also. So, breakdown, reverse light powers on camera, camera sends signal back to harness, harness switches display to video. Long story short, I have ordered the harness. As soon as it arrives, I will install and post the results.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Based on my SE, the BU camera that I installed did not work when I use the reverse light power. This was confirmed by the circuit diagram that the camera power should be connected from the radio to activate the BU display.

Since you guys were able to buy and use the wire harness connector, the option is to buy one additional terminal pin for the connector and use that to connect the camera power or splice the black wire to connect and extend it to the camera. (The color code of the camera power from the wire harness is black. See 12camryse 5/17/12 post for the wiring diagram)

Hope this clarify some of your questions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is for the people that purchased the amazon harness. It comes with only 3 wires... ground and the 2 for the rca video connection. Anyone know where I can get a 4th pin? No power wire to turn the camera on. I went to Toyota they want $19.40 for the terminal the will go into the 4th slot to give power.
Do you know the part # or name of the part? I might order it if we can't tap into the reverse lights.

Also, anyone remove the molding above the license plate where the logo is? Selvinraj said there was some holes where an oem camera could fit.

I'm getting my harness today so I'll update you guys.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Some members posted that they had purchased the oem lexus/camry camera which has a grey plug. Obviously that grey plug connects to a harness the leads to the head unit. Does anyone know the part number for this harness? It seems that grey plug would fit directly into the unused connector beneath the SE console....
Mine is a lexus oem camera. The harness that connects to the camera grey plug has many connections to it. Not designed for the purpose we're trying to accomplish. And, it costs over $300. Part # 82181-33240.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Do you know the part # or name of the part? I might order it if we can't tap into the reverse lights.

Also, anyone remove the molding above the license plate where the logo is? Selvinraj said there was some holes where an oem camera could fit.

I'm getting my harness today so I'll update you guys.
I removed the trunk moulding on my LE, and there are no additional holes to run wires to the trunk area. The camera for the 2012 [and other models] is designed to mount in place of one of the license plate lamps. That way, the wires are already inside the trunk. No holes to drill.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I removed the trunk moulding on my LE, and there are no additional holes to run wires to the trunk area. The camera for the 2012 [and other models] is designed to mount in place of one of the license plate lamps. That way, the wires are already inside the trunk. No holes to drill.
Hope this helps.
How did you remove the white clips at the ends? I was able to remove 6 nuts and the white clip in the middle. The white clips at each end are giving me trouble.

·
Registered
149 Posts
How did you remove the white clips at the ends? I was able to remove 6 nuts and the white clip in the middle. The white clips at each end are giving me trouble.
I just used a pair of pliers on the trunk side and push out, while prying the moulding with my other hand. Does take some force. They are not clips, just a interference pin that is tight in the hole.

81 - 100 of 455 Posts
About this Discussion
454 Replies
94 Participants
sethr
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing