Toyota Nation Forum banner

141 - 160 of 455 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guys,
I have followed Hansen's instructions, got the terminal/pins connected everything but nothing worked. Wiring was done properly. I have checked the power with the volt meter to see if anything is coming out of the terminal that is located under center console. No power there.
Did you guys have to take out your head unit to connect it from the back or it was already connected? In case it was already connected, any suggestions?

Thanks a ton for your feedback in advance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Guys,
I have followed Hansen's instructions, got the terminal/pins connected everything but nothing worked. Wiring was done properly. I have checked the power with the volt meter to see if anything is coming out of the terminal that is located under center console. No power there.
Did you guys have to take out your head unit to connect it from the back or it was already connected? In case it was already connected, any suggestions?

Thanks a ton for your feedback in advance.
Not sure how you connected it but Hansen wiring was correct. I used all 4 wires from the center console and the video enabled in reverse. Can you post a picture of how your camera is mounted to the car? I'm needing ideas for the one I have since they sent me the wrong item.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kipliq - I did not mount my camera just yet since I can't get it working. I have ordered identical one (link below). Take a look at Hansen's pictures that he uploaded on flickr. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7218285808/in/photostream/)

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/540087687-for-Toyota-Camry-2012-new-promoted-waterproof-and-shockproof-mini-hidden-car-backup-cameras-JY-6904-wholesalers.html

Not sure how you connected it but Hansen wiring was correct. I used all 4 wires from the center console and the video enabled in reverse. Can you post a picture of how your camera is mounted to the car? I'm needing ideas for the one I have since they sent me the wrong item.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You need to explain how you wired it-- to ther console plug and also the camera. Saying "It is wired properly" does not mean anything, if it does not work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hansen,
I need your advice. I have purchased exact same camera as you did. I have connected it to my home TV with 12V power source to check if it works and it does. I followed your installation instructions but display never switches to the camera. I have checked the terminal under center console with volt meter. No power is coming out of it. I am pretty sure it is connected to the back of the unit. (did not check though)
Do you have any idea why no power is coming out of it?
Obviously camera needs 12V to turn on but it does not happen.

Also, I have one more question about camera wiring.
Unfortunately installation diagram was not included with this camera.
It has three cables coming out of it. Black, red, and yellow. Those are missmatched with cables under center console. (white, red, black, and brown.) Based on the decription on the site where camera is sold black is ground. In the car ground is brown. Can you please let provide more details as how you connected it an which cable goes where? I have follwed your instructions that you posted on page 3 but it did not work.
Please help.
Thank you!
Alex

12camryse,

Thanks for sharing to them the video and wiring diagram.

I bought the same type of camera similar to the link that slomar posted before. http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/540087687-for-Toyota-Camry-2012-new-promoted-waterproof-and-shockproof-mini-hidden-car-backup-cameras-JY-6904-wholesalers.html. I bought mine on a different manufacturer in China. If you want to check the link first or I can email you with my supplier contact. Just provide me with your email address.

The camera is made specially for 2012 Camry. You will remove one of the license plate light assembly and insert the camera assembly. The camera comes with bulb holder and you will use the bulb from the license plate light assembly that you remove and insert it to the camera. The beauty with my camera is I still retained the license plate light. Just a caution, the camera assembly dimension is very important. I found out that other manufacturers that are selling similar camera, but their dimension is not compatible with my Camry. The one that I bought is perfectly fit with my Camry SE.

Tapping the reverse bulb power will not work. You can get away with three (3) pins if you use the common ground terminal that was used by the reverse lamps. But it is important to connect the three (3) wires CB+, Video + & Video -. However, I did not try combining the Video - and the common ground which you might want to try if you want. As you see in the wiring diagram, V- and common ground was specifically separated to minimize electrical noise and distortion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You need to explain how you wired it-- to ther console plug and also the camera. Saying "It is wired properly" does not mean anything, if it does not work.
I assume that there are two cables in the yellow (V+ and ground)

I have tried this:

Camera red (V-) connected to Center Console red (V-)
Camera black (Power) connected to CC black (CB+)
Camera yellow (V+) connected to CC white (V+)
Camera yellow (ground) connected CC brown (GND)

Also, I have tried this as camera manufacture suggested:
Camera red (power) connected to black (power)
Black (ground) connected to CC brown (GND)
Yellow connected to V+ (white)
Yellow connected to V- (red)

None of these scenarios worked. My volt meter shows 0V. As I mentioned in the previous post there is no diagram that comes with this camera and cables that come out of the camera do not match colors with CC terminal.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
167 Posts
I purchased the same cam as you, i'm just waiting for my harness from amazon and hopefully i can update you shortly

·
Registered
215 Posts
amazon harness

I purchased the same cam as you, i'm just waiting for my harness from amazon and hopefully i can update you shortly
Toyoforman, I assume you know that the amazon harness does not fit the toyota harness. The good thing is that you can pull the amazon harness apart and use the wires, especially the video portion. You can either buy the toyota connector hansen suggested, or splice into the harness beneath the console. I bought the amazon harness, the toyota connector and the wires hansen suggested. The toyota wires fit perfectly within the toyota connector. The amazon harness wires do not, so i connected the video rca from the amazon harness to the toyota wires. My only problem is that I am waiting on this camera that i purchased from canada via ebay and for some reason its taking forever to be delivered. I really don't even need the camera itself. I only need the power cable. Waiting..

·
Registered
167 Posts
Toyoforman, I assume you know that the amazon harness does not fit the toyota harness. The good thing is that you can pull the amazon harness apart and use the wires, especially the video portion. You can either buy the toyota connector hansen suggested, or splice into the harness beneath the console. I bought the amazon harness, the toyota connector and the wires hansen suggested. The toyota wires fit perfectly within the toyota connector. The amazon harness wires do not, so i connected the video rca from the amazon harness to the toyota wires. My only problem is that I am waiting on this camera that i purchased from canada via ebay and for some reason its taking forever to be delivered. I really don't even need the camera itself. I only need the power cable. Waiting..
I purchased the harness just for the video portion if needed, I have a spare harness for the terminals and have a new connector. it took me about a month to get the cam. once i get everything apart i'll see what i end up really using.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey TOYOFORMAN and onequan, could you both post pictures of your camera how it attached. I need to figure out how to mod mine because it's not what I ordered but the camera works... they have a picture of one but sent a different item. I wanted the one similar to hansen posted. Where did you both purchase it from?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Switching wires around is NOT a good idea-- as you can short the electronics in the radio, and it may never work.

This is how it should be wired, as I posted back on page 5. You may have to trace the wires to the radio. Mine is a LE, so it does not have the harness at the console.
You do need two grounds-- one for the camera, and one for the video cable, these should also be grounded to the body metal.
Rear Camera
Further information-- I pulled the radio from my LE, and found the L-154 connector.
The L-154 16 terminal connector on the LE standard radio, is the top center one-- it will have one red wire in position #6-- that is the parking brake wire. Next to it, in position #7, you connect the reverse 12 V feed, Next to that, in position #8 [last on right], you connect the Video input. right below #8, in position 16, you connect the Video shield [from the video cable] next to that, in position 15, you connect a ground wire.

When you finish-- the L-154 connector will have 5 wires, and 11 vacant places. [the parking brake wire is already there].

If you have a SE, it probably has the four wires in the the connector under the console. As Hanson describes in previous posts.

I wired it as I listed in the above post, I did not have to tie into the BU wiring, the radio will trigger the camera when in reverse.

The hardest part is getting the computer terminals in the L154 radio connector. Using stiffer wire does help.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The camera wiring should be like this-- the yellow is the Video, the shield around the Video wire should be grounded, the black wire should be grounded and the red wire - to trigger the camera on.

Then these will connect to the connector under the console on a SE. To find out which is which at the console plug, trace them to the radio at the L154 connector--top 16 position connector-- it will have 5 wires if it is a SE and only one wire if it is a LE.

I suggest you check the wires like I explained and stop worring about colors, and changing wires.

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Success! My camera finally arrived. My display now has back up monitor function. For my camera, I had to drill a hole in the emblem trim. This particular camera works perfectly with the toyota oem harness as it requires only the 4 oem wires. The other chinese camera had a wire that HAD to be connected to the reverse light.
I used the video rca from the amazon harness. I connected the white wire from the amazon video rca to white wire in the toyota harness(video positive), the black of the amazon video rca to the red in the toyota harness(video negative), the red from the power cable to the black toyota wire (camera positive) and the black from the power cable to the brown of the toyota harness (camera ground)
Video-: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPccdKlwNrc&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
30 Posts
It would be helpful if someone could post up a video with pictures of all the parts, parts number, links to where we can purchased them for cheap and video tutorial of how to do it for us noobies.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Where did you run the wires, how hard was it to run the wires? I'm thinking of going straight to the back from the cent but sound like I need to disassemble a bunch of things?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Now how does that camera affect the light out put for your plates?

Can you take a picture for me?
I would darken the W under his plate some not sure how much. Mine sticks out a bunch so it blocks the letter under it. I getting the same but putting it on the right and side to it will not block the light at all.

141 - 160 of 455 Posts
About this Discussion
454 Replies
94 Participants
sethr
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing