Toyota Nation Forum banner

161 - 180 of 455 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Where did you run the wires, how hard was it to run the wires? I'm thinking of going straight to the back from the cent but sound like I need to disassemble a bunch of things?
I ran my wires under the center console, (which you already have to remove to comfortably install the harness), under the carpet of the area directly behind the center console, removed the back seat, removed that piece of foam between the back seat and the trunk, ran the wires to side closest to the cam and along the trunk lid supports and used wire ties to secure the wires to the cables already run to the trunk.
Not wanting to drill the trunk, I removed the entire brake light closest to the cam, ran the wires directly attached to the cam beneath it and pulled them thru the brake light opening in the trunk.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It would be helpful if someone could post up a video with pictures of all the parts, parts number, links to where we can purchased them for cheap and video tutorial of how to do it for us noobies.
Please read all the pages of the thread.:welcome:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Success! My camera finally arrived. My display now has back up monitor function. For my camera, I had to drill a hole in the emblem trim. The camera looks oem and has excellent night vision. This particular camera works perfectly with the toyota oem harness as it requires only the 4 oem wires. The other chinese camera had a wire that HAD to be connected to the reverse light.
I used the video rca from the amazon harness. I connected the white wire from the amazon video rca to white wire in the toyota harness(video positive), the black of the amazon video rca to the red in the toyota harness(video negative), the red from the power cable to the black toyota wire (camera positive) and the black from the power cable to the brown of the toyota harness (camera ground)
Video-: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPccdKlwNrc&feature=youtu.be

Congratulation for the great job :clap:
Very Nice

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ordered from aliexpress.com the link is earlier in the thread. Though told it wouldn't work, it does and fits great. Just had to remove the trim to get the camera back in due to it being connected to the bulb housing. .

for the link again this is the unit i purchased http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/540087687-Freeshipping-for-Toyota-Camry-2012-new-promoted-waterproof-and-shockproof-mini-hidden-car-backup-cameras-JY-wholesalers.html

Very nice, great job toyoforman

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hansen,
I need your advice. I have purchased exact same camera as you did. I have connected it to my home TV with 12V power source to check if it works and it does. I followed your installation instructions but display never switches to the camera. I have checked the terminal under center console with volt meter. No power is coming out of it. I am pretty sure it is connected to the back of the unit. (did not check though)
Do you have any idea why no power is coming out of it?
Obviously camera needs 12V to turn on but it does not happen.

Also, I have one more question about camera wiring.
Unfortunately installation diagram was not included with this camera.
It has three cables coming out of it. Black, red, and yellow. Those are missmatched with cables under center console. (white, red, black, and brown.) Based on the decription on the site where camera is sold black is ground. In the car ground is brown. Can you please let provide more details as how you connected it an which cable goes where? I have follwed your instructions that you posted on page 3 but it did not work.
Please help.
Thank you!
Alex

Sorry for the late reply, I have been busy and was not able to cope up with this thread. I hope your camera is already working by this time. If not yet, then lets get it work.

1. Lets start with your wiring connection.

• Camera black wire goes to car ground or (wire harness brown wire)
  • Camera red wire goes to wire harness black wire
  • Camera yellow wire consist of video (+) & video (-). Video (+) goes to wire harness white wire and video (-) goes to wire harness red wire.
If you get this connection right assuming there is no problem with power output from the wire harness, you should be able to get it work when you turn-on the ignition and switch the gear to reverse.

2. When you try to measure the power from the wire harness, make sure that you have the ignition turn-on, your volt meter positive and negative probe should be properly engage. The negative probe should be touching a good ground point.

Hope this help

·
Registered
167 Posts
Now how does that camera affect the light out put for your plates?

Can you take a picture for me?
I'll take a pic but light output is not so much effected, not enough to really notice. i'll be throwing in led's though too. my favorite thing is that its mostly hidden unlike many other units i've seen and i didn't have to cut/drill into anything

·
Registered
8 Posts
Those of you drilling holes and installing OEM cameras have a lot of guts :D I wouldn't want to touch my new car with a ten foot pole for fear of screwing something up!

Does anyone have recommendations for a relatively hassle-free (even if slightly less convenient e.g. using a separate screen besides the builtin one in the car) way of installing a backup camera on the Camry SE? I found some wireless backup cams at places like www.tadibrothers.com but I have no idea how reliable they are, if that is even any good quality-wise, or if it is easy/safe to install on the Camry. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
I'll take a pic but light output is not so much effected, not enough to really notice. i'll be throwing in led's though too. my favorite thing is that its mostly hidden unlike many other units i've seen and i didn't have to cut/drill into anything
Oh nice, ok. I already have the LED's installed in mine and was wondering if it was going to be blocked by the camera.

I'll probably start the ordering process in the next few days.

Thanks for everyone's posts in this thread.:clap:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, I have been busy and was not able to cope up with this thread. I hope your camera is already working by this time. If not yet, then lets get it work.

1. Lets start with your wiring connection.

• Camera black wire goes to car ground or (wire harness brown wire)
  • Camera red wire goes to wire harness black wire
  • Camera yellow wire consist of video (+) & video (-). Video (+) goes to wire harness white wire and video (-) goes to wire harness red wire.
If you get this connection right assuming there is no problem with power output from the wire harness, you should be able to get it work when you turn-on the ignition and switch the gear to reverse.

2. When you try to measure the power from the wire harness, make sure that you have the ignition turn-on, your volt meter positive and negative probe should be properly engage. The negative probe should be touching a good ground point.

Hope this help

Hansen thank you for your reply.
I have tried connecting it this way but there is no power coming out of that damn thing. (car is on :) ) I will try to figure something out this weekend and provide an update if I can get it working.
Thanks again,
Alex

·
Registered
532 Posts
I already have rear view camera on my TCH. But I would like to be able to see the rear view on my Nav sometimes while I'm driving, not just while I'm backing up.

So... is it possible to rewire the OEM backup camera somehow to turn on rear view ?

Anyone has any idea of how to go about doing this ? Thx.

·
Corolla Veteran!
66 Posts
Hansen,

I am following this video to remove the center console panels. I got all the way to 2min:20sec of this how-to Vimeo to remove the Display Audio.
http://vimeo.com/39967790

As for panels I did remove beneath the USB port, my SE shows the white port connection (no cables are connected to it). So thanks for taking pictures of that. It seems like I'll need to connect a wire there.

1. In the video I can't see how he's nudging the top vents out to get to the next step of removing the Display Audio. What plastic tool is he using? Is there another handtool I can use? I'm stuck.

2. If my layout is the same as yours, is it still necessary to remove the Display Audio and access the back, or only need to connect to that white port beneath the console panels?

3. Is this the camera you recommended? http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/540087687-Freeshipping-for-Toyota-Camry-2012-new-promoted-waterproof-and-shockproof-mini-hidden-car-backup-cameras-JY-wholesalers.html

Or should I still contact that guy in China you listed?

4. Also, can I order these parts, would that work rather than paying $20 per terminal with Toyota?
http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/toyota~housing~connector~f~90980-12368.html
http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/toyota~terminal~repair~w~w~82998-24290.html

Do I need qty. 2 of each terminal or only 1 of each?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Where's the cheapest place you can order these harnesses? toyotapartszone wants $12 shipping for two harness which is outrages. Same question as corolla vet above, how many do we need of each?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hansen,

I am following this video to remove the center console panels. I got all the way to 2min:20sec of this how-to Vimeo to remove the Display Audio.
http://vimeo.com/39967790

As for panels I did remove beneath the USB port, my SE shows the white port connection (no cables are connected to it). So thanks for taking pictures of that. It seems like I'll need to connect a wire there.

1. In the video I can't see how he's nudging the top vents out to get to the next step of removing the Display Audio. What plastic tool is he using? Is there another handtool I can use? I'm stuck.

2. If my layout is the same as yours, is it still necessary to remove the Display Audio and access the back, or only need to connect to that white port beneath the console panels?

3. Is this the camera you recommended? http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/540087687-Freeshipping-for-Toyota-Camry-2012-new-promoted-waterproof-and-shockproof-mini-hidden-car-backup-cameras-JY-wholesalers.html

Or should I still contact that guy in China you listed?

4. Also, can I order these parts, would that work rather than paying $20 per terminal with Toyota?
http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/toyota~housing~connector~f~90980-12368.html
http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/toyota~terminal~repair~w~w~82998-24290.html

Do I need qty. 2 of each terminal or only 1 of each?
Hi there,

Here is the answer to your questions:

1. Since you already have the BU camera connector under the center cosole, there is no need for you to remove the audio display. If you still want to remove it, the top vent can be remove by pulling it out with your fingers without the need for tool. The hand tool that you can use is a vinyl trim remover tool that you can buy from stores like Pepboys, O Rielley or Kragen. You can use also any hand scraper. This are thin metal scraper that painter use. If you use metal, make sure you wrap it with masking tape to prevent scratching the finish of your trims.

2. You don't need to remove the audio display. All you need is to get the wire mate for the BU camera connector under the center console.

3. Toniez (another member) bought the camera from this link
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/557129837-CCD-HD-car-cameras-car-rear-view-monitor-car-Rear-Parking-Camera-for-Toyota-Camry-2012-wholesalers.html. It's a CCD camera which is a lot better than the CMOS camera I bought. Check with him how it fits his car.

4. The part number and description is similar. I would recommend to call the seller and make sure that, those are the parts that you will need before placing your order online.

You will need 4 pieces of terminal pins with wire. You can get away with 3 terminal pins by connecting your BU camera ground wire in the trunk.

Or, you can just not buy the mate connector and terminal pins at all. All you need is buy a t-tap (El Loco VG post on page 8) to connect the wires that you need for the BU camera

Or, see kipliq post #124 (page 9) on the terminal pin that he found compatible with the connector.

Hope this help.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
It appears that that harness will connect to the plug under the Console-- that many SE vehicles have-- as posted by Hanson. Good option and easy installation. the LE does not have that connector under the console and you have to go to the radio L154 connector to connect the BU camera. I am trying to find the tiny terminals that connect to the L154 connector.
JC1843, what kind of terminals did you finally use to connect to the L154 connector? Did you use the Toyota connectors (part#82998-24290) or did you find something else? The Toyota connectors are about $12 on line but if something else is available that works I would try that.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I went to Radio Shack and purchased the computer female terminal kit-- DP25. Don't have the exact part number, it comes with 25 terminals, and the connector-[which you don't need] It is abt $3.50. I suggest you find some stiffer wire, it makes soldering and inserting into the L154 connector easier.

I also cut the Park Brake wire, so I could work on the L154 connector wiring on the bench. I did solder, heat shrink, and reconnected it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Check these photos after removing the molding: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/107427309110071106739/albums/5748791403027681857/5751045615551574226?authkey=CL3ckpC-rqjIAQ

There's a designated area for the camera, or it seems like that. What's the best way to make a hole?

Edit: Scroll thru the pics. There's two pics of the molding.
I looks to me, judging from the angle of the molding, and the lack of a rectangular cut pattern to follow, that the camera, if it indeed goes there, (perhaps in another market ?) fits on the inside of the molding, and all that is needed is a circular hole for the camera to peek through.

Is there enough room behind the molding for a standard camera?
Its a good location, well shielded from dirt, etc.

Another possibility is a camera with a mounting stud, or just screws from the inside that bolts up flush to the outside surface instead of at an angle

·
Registered
215 Posts
camera

I looks to me, judging from the angle of the molding, and the lack of a rectangular cut pattern to follow, that the camera, if it indeed goes there, (perhaps in another market ?) fits on the inside of the molding, and all that is needed is a circular hole for the camera to peek through.

Is there enough room behind the molding for a standard camera?
Its a good location, well shielded from dirt, etc.

Another possibility is a camera with a mounting stud, or just screws from the inside that bolts up flush to the outside surface instead of at an angle
If the area in question is on the right side of the license plate light, that area is not for a camera. It's for a key hole. The camry L is the only model that comes with a trunk lock and that area is where the lock would go.
The designated area for models that come with a back up camera is on the left side of the left license plate light. For the camera that I installed, I measured the outline of my cam then used a permanent marker to make an outline on the inside of the rear emblem trim. I then used the smallest drill bit i could find and drilled small holes along the entire outline and then popped it out. A file was then used to smooth out the edges. Proceed with caution.:cool:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah --- i just figured that out. I just got back from a dealer and that's exactly what it is.
The models with an actual camera have the camera mounted to the trunk itself, and there is a cutout in the trim piece for clearance. I felt around on the ones without a camera and I think there is a faint outline on the trim piece. perhaps there is a guideline to cut on the inside.

I ordered a camera for another vehicle.. Mercedes, I think, just to scavenge the camera off of the license light mount. the camera is cube shaped with screws on the back. It is a 520 line Sony CCD camera, and I had planned to mount it flush to the angled area where the key goes, but now... ? I'll play with it when it gets here. At 23 bucks, its no great loss if it doesn't work out.

161 - 180 of 455 Posts
About this Discussion
454 Replies
94 Participants
sethr
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing