Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "2010 Toyota Corolla Base" is due for new brakes. For the price point and value it seems the OEM brake pads are the way to go.

Where is the best place to order OEM brake pads?
Below is where I found the best deal to date.

ToyotaOnlineParts.com
Front Pads - #04465-02240 - $66.47
Rear Pads - #04466-02310 - $38.54
Estimated Shipping - $20.00

I plan on ordering the pads and then bringing them to the shop to install. Seems simple enough to me. Is there anything else I should keep in mind?

Thank you! :grin:

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,421 Posts
My "2010 Toyota Corolla Base" is due for new brakes. For the price point and value it seems the OEM brake pads are the way to go.

Where is the best place to order OEM brake pads?
Below is where I found the best deal to date.

ToyotaOnlineParts.com
Front Pads - #04465-02240 - $66.47
Rear Pads - #04466-02310 - $38.54
Estimated Shipping - $20.00

I plan on ordering the pads and then bringing them to the shop to install. Seems simple enough to me. Is there anything else I should keep in mind?

Thank you! :grin:
They will do fine but if you want a little more braking power than try some EBC redstuff pads. Your base Corolla had rear drum brakes so it doesn't use brake pads. Your rear brake shoes should still be just fine but they may need to be adjusted. You can easily replace the front brake pads yourself and save the money.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does changing OEM brake pads at 80k miles sound about right?

Thanks guys for the input.
My Corolla has disc brake for the front and rear.
Thumbs up on EBC redstuff & Akebono pads for quality.

One last question.

Pads wear out at different intervals depending on how you drive. I live in the city and was hearing some faint squeeling while I was driving around. I tend to be paranoid, but I know how much it can cost you if you aren't preventative with your brakes. I'd have the mechanic check them out, but he'll probably want me to service them right then and there if there is an issue and I want quality pads if they do need replacing.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,421 Posts

One last question.

Pads wear out at different intervals depending on how you drive. I live in the city and was hearing some faint squeeling while I was driving around. I tend to be paranoid, but I know how much it can cost you if you aren't preventative with your brakes. I'd have the mechanic check them out, but he'll probably want me to service them right then and there if there is an issue and I want quality pads if they do need replacing.
You can always take the wheels/tires off and look at the pads to check for wear. So you have an XRS with 4 wheel disc brakes. Your rear pads may be okay even if your front pads need changing. I do more highway driving and my pads are still more than 50% at 82k miles.

·
2004 Camry LE
Cars
781 Posts

One last question.

I would check them ASAP! My son's Corolla front pads did not have the brake wear indicator and we were lucky I looked at them at the right time. Remove the wheel and look through the caliper window, as Supercharged said.

Good luck,
Sam

·
Gearhead
2,140 Posts
Pad life varies tremendously depending on a number of factors. I've had the front pads on a car last over 100K miles on one extreme to burning through a set of front pads in less than 20K miles (Thanks DC Metro traffic). Pads should always be looked at every tire rotation - the tires have to come off anyways, be a piece of cake to view pad thicknesses at that time.

I wouldn't consider 80K miles odd, in terms of brake pad life, especially if you have mixed driving conditions. The Toyota OEM pads are a ceramic composite - and if memory serves me correctly, they are manufactured by ADVICS. Pretty decent company that makes a lot of OEM and aftermarket parts. Centric, Akebono are the other two big OE suppliers of brakes.

If you like the feel and braking power of the OEM setup - stick with OEM friction material. If you want something with a bit more initial bite, higher temperature stability - Hawk, EBC, Axxis, PF, StopTech, etc. - lots of good high performance aftermarket options as well.

Just remember everything is a tradeoff - usually to give you more bite / high heat tolerance, these performance pads generally will cause more dust to form, might even squeal from time to time - wear to pad and/or rotor could be problematic for some cases. This all depends on what you want from the car.

Myself - I run Hawk HPS on the Corolla - good bite, fair wear, wide temperature range. On the other cars in my sig - ADVICS, Power Stop, and StopTech are what I run on them. Different pads for different purposes and expected performance. The ADVICS looks identical to the Toyota OEM ones, just that I could get a better price on them. Power Stop and StopTech - two different levels of performance, but both made under the Centric company.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't recommend Stop Techs for your Corolla. Stock OEM pads give better feel and power and don't wear out your rotors. I tried the Stop Techs once and was horrified when I saw how much the rotors wore in just 10000 miles.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,421 Posts
I don't recommend Stop Techs for your Corolla. Stock OEM pads give better feel and power and don't wear out your rotors. I tried the Stop Techs once and was horrified when I saw how much the rotors wore in just 10000 miles.
Just depends on which pads you get. Most brands offer many different pad choices.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.