Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're in the process of trading my wife's 2005 Tacoma with Michellin LTX/MS tires for a 2011 Double Cab TRD Sport with those "wonderful" Bridgestones. There will be no off-roading with this truck (unless it ends up in a ditch). Will the stock Bridgestones be OK as long as there is some decent tread. We live in Nebraska and do have muddy roads, snow and ice. I have Michellin's on all my vehicles and would trade the Bridgestone in a minute for a set of Michellins but would rather not part with the bucks on tires for a new truck.

Will I get at least 25,00 - 30,000 good safe miles out of the Bridgestones?

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
I would think so if you keep them properly inflated, get it aligned every now and again and have them rotated every 6K miles or so.

·
My Other Truck
4,298 Posts
^^ What he said, and if you're unhappy with the Bridgestones after a year, get new Michelins then. It won't hurt as much, knowing you at least got a year's worth of service from the Bridgestones.

·
Lady in Red
1,515 Posts
I have over 36,000 miles on my Bridgestones and they wear very well. I do only highway miles and make sure they are properly inflated and rotated every 5000 miles. I expect my tires to dry rot before the tread wears out. When they do I too will get Michelin's but you should be fine with the OEM Bridgestones for a while!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. Any comments from guys where there are muddy roads, ice and snow?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I find the tires excellent on the highway and mine still have very little wear.

In the mud and snow they are aweful. I have to use four wheel drive to get off my parents grass on a slight slope.

The tires are very dangerous in the snow.
I use a winter tire during the winter season.

·
Registered
09 Tacoma Sport, DC,
141 Posts
If your Michellins are in good shape, why not have the dealer swap the tires. He would much rather have new tires on the the trade in for resale.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If your Michellins are in good shape, why not have the dealer swap the tires. He would much rather have new tires on the the trade in for resale.

Thought of that but the Michellins have a little over 40,000 miles on them. With our winter conditions, I'd be trading them next fall. Both the Bridgestones (and Dunlops) seem to have decent tread and siping. Must be the compound that makes them so "squirrely" in snow and on ice.

My local tire dealer will allow $70 per tire take-off trade.

Guess I need to think about this for a bit. Most "normal" folks wouldn't even considering trading new OEM tires for premium tires. But then "car/truck nuts" are a different breed, right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts