Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I went for an oil change at the dealer. Only problem I was the price kind of cheap to be $26 dollars..
Wondering..
What type of OIL do Dealers use ?
Is it syntetic or blend ?
Who makes it for them ?

Because I had an 04Acura TL before and had to change the oil every 3K miles..the Acura dealer used Syntetic oem acura oil (Mobil1 makes it for them)....about 40 bucks....But IM kind of confused on my new 08HL ride. why the oil changes are for 5000 miles ? (specially if they dont use good oil - my assumption is not syntch) WTF ????

HELP anwering ALL these questions !!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Although the manufacture "recommends" a certain oil viscosity or type there is no requirement for the dealer to use it. I had my first oil change done on my venza recently. I know it holds 6 1/2 quarts. I specifically asked and was told toyota recommends mobil 5W-30 for the V6. When I got the printout it said 5 quarts bulk oil. IDK if this was just their billing method or if they did like many dealers and use bulk oil - a.k.a recycled - as I was not able to see into the shop. I've been told that many dealers use bulk/recycled oil.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Dealers typically use whatever is the cheapest in bulk for their oil changes. There isn't some magic code of honor for those bastards. They take advantage of your confidence in them... Profit is all that matter to many of them.

I've seen this personally at dealerships of all brands.

I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I'd just as soon tell you the truth. Some dealers will do a quart bottle refill if you ask (for a fee). At least that way you get something decent in the crankcase.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
If you want synthetic at the dealer you have to request it, and pay 2x the price. That was my experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts