1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Boy it was a breeze!!!

Before pic:

First off I ordered the racks from The Toyota Parts People. They had the best shipped price I could find. Better even than ebay. $240 shipped.

Took about a week to show up. The packaging sure as heck could have been a lot better...

A few parts were loose and one of the rails got a bit scratched up...

* Note of interest, it seems some people thought these bars were rated at a max weight of 75lb. They are actually marked 100lb. *

Not bad enough to make an issue out of it though, so off I go...

1st, pull off the rubber guards. Easy enough.

There are two strips of tape near the back of the cab. Make sure that you clean that off.

Next you need to cut the fences off the clips that held the rubber guards in place.

before:

After:

now for the part thats a PITA...

THere are strips of tape covering the pre-drilled bolt holes.

You have to open up the holes. The directions get a little vague here, so here is what I did.

All I used was a hobby knife.

The front 2 holes on both sides you mount a metal bracket to. I decided to take the entire piece of tape off for the front for the most solid contact.

In retrospect, I probly should have just cut the holes like I did for the middle hole and rear holes - less metal on metal less chance for rust.

middle and rear holes I cut Like this:

my batteries crapped out at this point :headbang:

But the rest was super easy.

Bolt on the metal brackets with the spacers and pink loc-tight bolts.

Drop the two rails in place.

Start the 3 bolts with green loc-tight. Then use the bolts with blue loc-tight to attach the rail to the metal bracket at the front.

Swivel the cross bars to ensure they lock correctly and are spaced right(they are tight but thats how you want it;)).

Then tighten down the 3 remaining green bolts you had started before and you are good to go!!

Any questions feel free to PM me, but its so easy a Cave-men could do it!:thumbsup:

Once i was done I ran out and grabbed some more AAs.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Very nice! If you have the chance could you take a picture of the front area where the racks meet the windshield? I just want to see the fitment in that area?
Thanks!:thumbsup:

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure thing, I'll snap some pics of that as well as where all the bolts are just for a little more in visual aids.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for the info. You don't need to cut the fences off the clips, you can just peel the clips off, they are just stuck to the roof with adhesive.

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To expand a little -

Here is the front where it meets the windshield. Goes nice and snug.

Here is the rear where it goes down the back to the back window - again nice and snug(has a stip of adhesive on the back for extra security.

Operation is super simple, just pull up on the levers(very easy form the ground unless your a midget, then just step up in the door frame :lol:) and lift, then rotate. The bottom of the bars havea rubber base, so no worries about scratching your paint while rotating them to open or closed

This is the front of the rack, the two bolts seen are attached to the front mounting brackets that were the first thing you screwed on.

Here is the rear portion of the assembly where you can see the rear 2 bolts and simple ball/socket type hinge that the assembly rottates on to deploy.

*Point of interest - the bars are marked that they can hold up to 100 lbs.*

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks good CB, some of these are definitely in my future.

nice looking neighborhood as well.
Hate to break it to you but I think they are only for the DC :ugh3:

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mandy, can you tell me where you got those pads? I may have to get some.

·
FREE CITIZEN
Tacoma 06 DC TRD OR
496 Posts
Last time I was at the dealer, (a couple of months ago) they still stock them, not sure how much $ now.

I've seen similar pads at surf shops but the outer shell is canvas, not acylic fabric

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Captain the rack looks great! Whats the part number on that bad boy?

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,161 Posts
Mandy, can you tell me where you got those pads? I may have to get some.
Just another idea here. I have a yakima rack over the rear of my DC and a drydock for the hitch. I hated how things slide around on the bars, so I added foam pipe insulation from the hardware store. Then just add a zip tie around it in a few spots to secure it. I know those bars are mostly flat, but it might work in those cases too. That pipe insulation works well because it grips things keeping them from wanting to slide around in the wind and pads the bars nicely.

·
Still A New TN User
14 Tacoma (TRD)
65 Posts
Hate to break it to you but I think they are only for the DC :ugh3:
So does anybody know for sure if they make this for the access cab? I want one so very very much.

·
FREE CITIZEN
Tacoma 06 DC TRD OR
496 Posts
So does anybody know for sure if they make this for the access cab? I want one so very very much.

Sorry, the hardware inside the roof isn't there and the racks are longer than the roof.

Some grinding, welding and hacking may be necesary the adapt OEM racks to an Acess Cab and they would be open all the time.

·
Still A New TN User
14 Tacoma (TRD)
65 Posts
DAMN!
thanks

·
Premium Member
2,669 Posts
my batteries crapped out at this point
Dang

I've been hoping to get pictures of the underside of the roof rack brackets, especially at the rear. I want to attach to the rear of the roof rack, and wonder what's under there.

Captain, how's your memory? Can you give a brief description of what's under there? Is it a solid chunk of material, or an empty shell, or a shell with lots of junk inside? I don't want to have to pull mine off before starting the project.

Thanks

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There are only 2 metal brackets. They go in the front.

The entire rail assembly is a composite or plastic of some sort. It is hollowed on the inside, but it does NOT contact the metal roof. It comes with a rubber foot that it basically sits on and this rubber foot pads the roof and helps seal for rain.

You can see the edges of the rubber boot/footing in this pic here:

It goes all the way around through. There are of course 4 holes in the rubber.
1 big hole for the front bracket. 1 small bolt sized hole in the middle for the middle screw, and then 2 small ones in the rear for the rear two screws.

Now, between the metal front brackets and the 3 remaining middle/rear holes nothing actually touches the truck's surface due to their washers.

The things are called Mastic washers, they are a magnetic rubber molding type thing. they stick in place on the bottom of the brackets and rails(between the rails and the roof of the truck) then when you tighten down they mush and spread out to form a nice large padded area.

So yes, you have a solid rubber base piece, but the construction of the rail is hollow.

In retrospect... I know a few foam spray products that could be used to fill the hollow, but I don't think they are necessary.

What are you looking to do? I can probly tell you if its doable or not.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts