Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey guys/gals,,,,,what do ya think. I needed a cheap mod to fill my fix quota for the time being.....so I took my skid plate and had it line-x 'd. Put the raised letters on first and it came out pretty good I think. Letters might be a little hard to see on the truck but I know its there. Maybe someone has already done something like this ...I dont know.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
whoops, didnt mean to put that truck pic in......

·
Griff
914 Posts
^ well atleast we know what the truck looks like now.

the skid looks good with the line-x. i'm not a a fan of the raised letters, but it overall, looks good.

what did you use to make the raised letters? did you paint them after line-xing or did line-x paint them with white line-xtra?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, what i did was found the TRD Image online, cropped each letter, sized them, and cut them out. Then I took foam tape (door seal) covered the area on the skid plate with the sticky side down, placed the letters (one at a time) over the foam where I wanted it and traced the outline with an exacto knife. Peeled all the extra away and sent it out for the line-x. One hour later, had it back. I was originally gonna tape it all out and spray it but didnt have a painters tape that would stick good to the line-x....soooo, in a hurry, drove a half hour to walmart...only thing open at 9 around here, and got some aluminum rustoleum. Painted it with a small foam brush which was actually a lot easier than spraying it would have ever been. Not sure how it is gonna hold up yet, if the paint peels I will just have to do something different, but for now I love the looks of the raised aluminum colored letters, I am not worried about the letters themselves holding up, that line-x is rugged stuff, the letters actually feel like they are part of the skid plate. Plus, that aspect is warrantied anyway, thanks again guys!

·
Griff
914 Posts
Thanks guys, what i did was found the TRD Image online, cropped each letter, sized them, and cut them out. Then I took foam tape (door seal) covered the area on the skid plate with the sticky side down, placed the letters (one at a time) over the foam where I wanted it and traced the outline with an exacto knife. Peeled all the extra away and sent it out for the line-x. One hour later, had it back. I was originally gonna tape it all out and spray it but didnt have a painters tape that would stick good to the line-x....soooo, in a hurry, drove a half hour to walmart...only thing open at 9 around here, and got some aluminum rustoleum. Painted it with a small foam brush which was actually a lot easier than spraying it would have ever been. Not sure how it is gonna hold up yet, if the paint peels I will just have to do something different, but for now I love the looks of the raised aluminum colored letters, I am not worried about the letters themselves holding up, that line-x is rugged stuff, the letters actually feel like they are part of the skid plate. Plus, that aspect is warrantied anyway, thanks again guys!
good thinking. now let's see some pics with it on the truck!! :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
soon! still have my plow frame on right now. Will be off next weekend!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
soon!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Very nice job. I love it. I bet it would look nice on my truck. Great mod!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks alot, thats what I love to hear. It would look good on your truck, maybe with the letters in white instead of aluminum. I am just worried that you wont be able to see it that well. Oh well, wont know until next weekend. this weekend is dedicated to getting my jeep out and ready for summer!

·
p00pernickel
Toyota Tacoma
500 Posts
Looks good!

My stock black one is pressed, beat, and bent to hell. Let alone the welded mounting points to make it fit w/ my lift. lol

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
I like the way that look man. :clap:

·
Pretty much a TN Member
2006 Taco DC TRD OR
1,179 Posts
how much to have it line-x'd?

Nathan
ycart1201

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey, I never posted pics of the skid on the truck...havent been on here for awhile. Here is one, not great, but if you zoom in on it you can atleast get an idea. It has held up great so far!

[/IMG]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts