Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 toyota camry 4 cylinder, what is the part number for the oem spark plugs? I believe they are double platinum as it is shown on the timing belt cover

·
Super Moderator
12,806 Posts
Toyota uses NGK or Denso dual platinum plugs. What you can buy at just about any auto parts source.

·
イリジウム
11,797 Posts
I’d be careful buying parts from eBay. Many counterfeits.

Either NGK or Denso are OEM specified. Back in the old days they were platinums, now people use iridium. Some like Denso, I prefer NGK. Look in NGK’s catalog but don’t use the old copper/nickel plugs. Those will work, but you have to change out 15k mikes.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part-finder

The Denso plug is cheaper on rockauto however. Use the 5% off code in the sticky section.

I’d actually use the NGK Iridium IX plug instead. IME these work fine for the 60k mile interval and hold up better than the plats.

·
Registered
2001 Camry
496 Posts
I just changed these last week on my car. 4 Denso (PK20TR11) double platinum spark plugs cost me $26 from RockAuto including shipping and tax after the discount code. Some people use more expensive iridium plugs, which work fine, but the double platinum plugs are what the car came with and function just fine as well. I read that although the iridium plugs generally have a longer lifespan than the double platinum ones, our cars weren't designed for them and therefore the extended lifespan of iridium plugs on these engines is relatively small compared to other newer cars.

How old are the spark plug wires? If this is your 3rd spark plug change, you may want to consider replacing them depending on their condition.

Also, be careful with the little plastic spark plug wire holders when removing the wires - I broke one of mine since the plastic had gotten so brittle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just changed these last week on my car. 4 Denso (PK20TR11) double platinum spark plugs cost me $26 from RockAuto including shipping and tax after the discount code. Some people use more expensive iridium plugs, which work fine, but the double platinum plugs are what the car came with and function just fine as well. I read that although the iridium plugs generally have a longer lifespan than the double platinum ones, our cars weren't designed for them and therefore the extended lifespan of iridium plugs on these engines is relatively small compared to other newer cars.

How old are the spark plug wires? If this is your 3rd spark plug change, you may want to consider replacing them depending on their condition.

Also, be careful with the little plastic spark plug wire holders when removing the wires - I broke one of mine since the plastic had gotten so brittle.
That is true, i used ngk iridium and after 30,000 they would be fouled, no way would they have gone 100,000 miles. And i changed the spark plug wires 6 years ago to duralast which were absolute cheeks (car started to idle very poorly and power was decreased slightly) so i had it switched back to quality ones 2 years after (couldn't remember what brand it was). I did break one of the wires upon removal because of how brittle they got but i was replacing them so i didn't mind, as long as i didn't cause damage. Sooo it has been 4 years since the plugs and wires have been changed, time to see how these babes look, i will post pictures. 165,000 miles was replaced, and now the car has 194,000 miles.

·
Registered
2001 Camry
496 Posts
If replacing wires, go with NGK wires (they're blue). They're just as good as OEM ones (some people claim they're even better).

·
イリジウム
11,797 Posts
Good point about NGK blue wire sets. They’re low resistance wires. IMO NGK makes the best ignition parts.

As far as iridium fouling maybe it’s the Autozone wires. Iridium plugs are actually more foul resistant than copper or platinum plugs because of the thin center electrode easily staying in the self cleaning temperature range, so it’s probably something else.

IME iridium IX without platinum ground pad worked fine to 75k miles. Toyota uses Laser Iridium (with platinum ground pad) to 120k miles in newer engines (non-waste spark).

·
Registered
804 Posts
Silly question but WHAT IS a "dual platinum" plug..?

I know what a sparkplug is, I know what platinum is, but in what sense is it DUAL..?

TWO spark arms? TWO layers of platinum?

How does this (whichever it is) give advantage over non dual platinum plugs..?

I was too embarrassed to ever ask, but the last time I was at AutoZone before buying them I asked the clerk:

Even he the salesman did not know, so that has made me a bit more courageous.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,948 Posts
Silly question but WHAT IS a "dual platinum" plug..?

I know what a sparkplug is, I know what platinum is, but in what sense is it DUAL..?

TWO spark arms? TWO layers of platinum?

How does this (whichever it is) give advantage over non dual platinum plugs..?

I was too embarrassed to ever ask, but the last time I was at AutoZone before buying them I asked the clerk:

Even he the salesman did not know, so that has made me a bit more courageous.
Platinum puck or layer on both ground strap and center electrode, as opposed to just on center electrode (single platinum).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Don't know the part number, not sure that we care. We go to Toyota, give them the VIN, and walk out with new pre-gapped plugs... after a few decades of never getting gapping right, Toyota's parts come pre-gapped with a cardboard sleeve protector.

Yes, expensive... paid around $108 for a full set of plugs for our GS400. Yet for something that's done every 100k miles, guess we decided it's worth it.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,948 Posts
PK20TR11 or NGK BKR6EKPB-11 (3452) I prefer Denso I think the engine idles a bit better with them.
Hm, I'll have to try the Densos on the next one now. I keep the 3452 stocked, but better idle is tempting...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PK20TR11 or NGK BKR6EKPB-11 (3452) I prefer Denso I think the engine idles a bit better with them.
Hm, I'll have to try the Densos on the next one now. I keep the 3452 stocked, but better idle is tempting...
Sure is. Back when my dad had the car the oem wires were shot and he used Bosch platinum spark plugs. When car was idling it vibrated a lot and with the AC on it felt like something i rather not say or ever want to feel again loool

1 - 16 of 16 Posts