Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, please be aware of 'design issue' I found with OEM tow hitch for 2020 highlander.

Waited for almost a year to get it installed (I have Limited, so need to wait for new parts related to kick sensor). Everything looks good including kick sensor which was successfully reallocated. Just to find out a bigger disappointment. The distance between receiver end and center of mounting hole is just 1 inch. It make impossible to find a bike rack which could be installed securely. For example, entire Yakima line of bike racks requires 1.5 inch minimum.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander XLE AWD V6 Blizzard Pearl, Black SofTex
138 Posts
Hm, I will try mine. I have Bell RightUp 300. It was not an issue with OEM hitch on 2020 4Runner

·
Registered
2016 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (APR Stage 1, Neuspeed P-flow/wheels)
568 Posts
Keep in mind, with the tool-less mounts on Yakima racks, the "mounting hole" is for a safety redundant pin that fits loosely in that hole.

So, as long as the tool-less mechanism has solid contact with the receiver inside corner, that is more important,

·
Registered
138 Posts
could you also buy an extender to help solve the problem?

As far as I understood the concern is in the close proximity of the pin hole to the end of receiver. Yakima is expecting it to be 1.5"+
It is Yakima's design flaw if you ask me...

·
Registered
2016 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (APR Stage 1, Neuspeed P-flow/wheels)
568 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Nice. Mine has a bolt that needs to be tighted with a tool

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue, and returned the Thule rack to the store.

Instead, I found the Buzz Rack model Scorpion H2. Seems like a better option.

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,638 Posts
Drill another hole in the rack that gives the needed spacing.

·
1,638 Posts
It is not the rack itself, it is the hitch
I use a hitch mounted bike rack. I understand that the rack hole and the hitch holes have to line up.

If the hole in the rack doesn't go far enough into the hitch for the holes to line up, you can:
Drill a hole further in on the rack (male connector), so that it will line up with the holes in the hitch, or
Drill a hole closer to the end of the hitch (female connector) so that the hole in the rack reaches it.

I would go for drilling the male connector as it's easier to do on a bench, despite being thicker metal. And the hitches rust fast enough without the exposed etal from a newly drilled hole. But you can go the other way. You could even mark it and have a machine shop do the drilling.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I use a hitch mounted bike rack. I understand that the rack hole and the hitch holes have to line up.

If the hole in the rack doesn't go far enough into the hitch for the holes to line up, you can:
Drill a hole further in on the rack (male connector), so that it will line up with the holes in the hitch, or
Drill a hole closer to the end of the hitch (female connector) so that the hole in the rack reaches it.

I would go for drilling the male connector as it's easier to do on a bench, despite being thicker metal. And the hitches rust fast enough without the exposed etal from a newly drilled hole. But you can go the other way. You could even mark it and have a machine shop do the drilling.
Who told you they do not line up? Holes will line up, but there will not be enough support from the hitch, because there will be less than expected 1.5" from the mounting hole to the end of hitch.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I also use hitch mounted rack by the way and also did not understand the issue at first...

·
1,638 Posts
Who told you they do not line up? Holes will line up, but there will not be enough support from the hitch, because there will be less than expected 2" from the mounting hole to the end of hitch.
Which end of hitch? Inside (toward front of vehicle) or outside?
Perhaps I'm just not getting it because the male part on all the hitches I've used is solid square bar. The support is provided by the entire inserted (overlapping) length, not just the inch or two rearward of the retaining pin.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Which end of hitch? Inside (toward front of vehicle) or outside?
Perhaps I'm just not getting it because the male part on all the hitches I've used is solid square bar. The support is provided by the entire inserted (overlapping) length, not just the inch or two rearward of the retaining pin.
Outside, post #4 has an informative picture

1 - 20 of 37 Posts