Toyota Nation Forum banner

Off-Road Question

1812 Views 2 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  wpg2rch
Hello Everyone,

We are thinking about replacing our second vehicle, a 1/2 ton pickup, with a Sequoia. The truck's primary purpose was to tow a boat, a travel trailer, and traverse winter snowy conditions when needed (wife's Highlander is the 2wd 4 cyl great MPG version). We are now getting to the point where a pickup is no longer needed, but 6 person seating (plus dog) is occasionally a plus. I still need this vehicle to tow and handle poor road conditions, which I know the Sequoia will do.

Now here's my concern. Twice a year I go fishing to a real remote location. The road to get there is real bad. The last 2 miles of the old logging road is like a dried up creek bed. To give you an idea of the road, my 1/2 ton Dodge Ram makes it over the rocks towing the boat and all the gear, but my friend's Grand Cherokee scraps the skid plates a few times. Just looking at ground clearance specs doesn't tell you the whole story because suspension stiffness varies, and you can always straddle rocks with tires and as long as the body is high enough, you can make it.

From all this, do you think a Sequoia could still make it out there? Or would I be asking too much? Since this trip occurs no more than twice a year, I don't need that off-road capability very often...but I do need it.

Thanks much!
G.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
400 Posts
You're right. The Sequoia is great for winter weather and hauling 6+ people. It's not so great if those 6+ people have much luggage with them.

I don't off-road mine any, but I have a lot of doubts about its rock-crawling abilities. I can barely get under the front skid plate to remove it for oil changes, so any rock bigger than the average human head would be a problem. With the independent rear suspension, mine looks like it's squatting just a little in the back all the time. I think that doesn't bode well for rock-crawling either.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm

That was what I was thinking too. There are ways around needing a vehicle for my fishing trip, but was hoping I didn't have to rely on others for transportation.
I really like the Sequoia's look and feel, and don't really like the full size SUV offerings from Ford and GM. Plus my experience (as well as friend's experiences) with our Highlander has really made me a Toyota fan. It also helps that the Toyota dealer in town is the only dealer I don't dislike.
Thanks for the info!
G.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.