Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Tacoma Prerunner TRD and I am looking for places to go off roading. I've been searching the site, but couldn't find anything relating to what I'm looking for. I live in Southern California, and currently have only found dirt roads that arn't a whole lot of fun, or places that are illeagal to be in. My truck is only 2WD, but I can lock my differential, but still I am concerned about getting it stuck so I don't want to go any place that would be too serious. If anyone knows of any place, or of how to get some info please let me know. Thanks.

·
NY born, Texas raised
705 Posts
My friend has a 2wd trd. Has got stuck many times trying to follow 4wd trucks on very moderate terrain. Locking the rear is good but if your ass gets stuck, you do not have the front tires to pull you out. Be very careful. Learn what it is capable of. Take a friend w/ 4wd and a tow strap and see what it can do.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's good advice thanks!!! Actually that is my #1 concern is getting stuck. Believe me I wanted the 4x4, but couldn't afford the $3k extra, plus insurance.

·
Offical nut
112 Posts
people in your area go out to chino /cochella and other spots out east of san bernadino. Haven't hit the Aqueduct yet? most of the spots up here are off limits as well. . we do have oceano beach and dunes open for off road. otherwise cali is locked down by the tree huggin hippies

and 3K for 4x4? I paid 1800, and well another 1500 for the trd so I guess it would come to over 3k

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try Hungry Valley, off Interstate 5 near Gorman. And what texas12 said......take a friend with a 4X4 and a toe strap. I have owned a 4X4 and now own a 03 PreRunner TRD w/V6, and I've learned that the 2wd, w/lock diff, and some additional weight over the rear wheels, and some real off-road tires (like M/Ts) can get you in and out of some tough places but will not equal the capability of a 4X4. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts